View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
solar.gumby
KA2DTH

[QUOTE=NN5I;14953]That's not what I said, not even approximately. Nor could a moderately careful reader infer it.

Actually there are only a couple of ways that what you said could be interpreted, if you read what you wrote.
"Although I don't particularly think we need more hams "
Either you think the number of hams should stay the same (unlikely), or you think there should be fewer hams.
I am a moderately careful reader, and I am now taking offence at your response.

It is not the case where the amateur radio community can pick and choose those who take the interest to become licensed operators, so to improve the ranks, or continue the interest and promote the hobby, we need to encourage all who show an interest to become hams. Only then will the hobby continue to have enough active members to sustain and grow interest for others through exposure and innovation. As we all know, a great many who join the hobby either loose interest rapidly, or even over time, not to mention losses through SKs or license lapses.
So in order to sustain the hobby, we need volume, as we can't choose quality, and only through demonstration can we maintain the involvement and privileges that the hobby has fought for.

So yes, I believe that it is in the best interest of the hobby to increase the numbers of licensed operators, regardless of their ages or abilities or interests.
solar.gumby is offline   Reply With Quote