View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Me I have a new Grandson so I've been spending like a drunken sailor this fall. (Winter starts on 12/21).
The idea that winter starts at the winter solstice (12/21) is parochial, recent, mostly North American, and not the convention in the cultures of the UK, of Europe, or of Asia. Most of the world considers that winter starts about the middle or end of November, with the other seasons starting correspondingly. This reckoning is sometimes called "meteorological winter" and the reckoning that starts winter at the solstice is called the "astronomical winter". The events of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, for example, apparently take place in early June.

Me, I think winter starts earlier and ends later in cold years and the opposite in warm years, and has little to do with the dadgum solstices..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Was visiting with darling daughter a few days back and she commented on the problem she has with stockings, Hanging on the mantel without poking holes in it,, I picked up half a dozen stocking hangers, heavy weights with hooks attached,, Hopefully they will work, I have another design that should work well in addition should those fail.
Buy some cheap used metal spoons (at a flea market or garage sale) and bend them so that the bowl of the spoon sits upside-down on the mantel and the handle droops straight down and then bends up to form a hook. Someone -- perhaps our esteemed and venerated host Wade -- posted pix of this a while back, which is where I got the idea; but I'm too lazy to look up the reference.