View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
Radio
Administrator

Thumbs up I can do it all by myself!

OK, the Vortex fan arrived today!

And I can echo what all the others have said about ease of install, noise and all that. If you are replacing one of those dinky powered vent deals then it's really easy but if there is no pre-existing power there, then it can be a pain.

I had more trouble with the trailer than the fan. There was no power at the vent and I had to go find some. The vent crank handle has to be removed and the screw head in there stripped out and did not want to cooperate. And then to top it off, the UV light/heat/age has broken a hole in the vent lid in spite of the Maxx-Aire cover. So that gets replaced next week.

But the fan is great!

Once the power was run to the vent, the fan went right in and installed in about 25 minutes. Need screwdrivers (including weird RV-only bits) wire strippers/cutters, wire nuts, tie wraps and electrical tape.

You must retain the original trim around the vent for re-use.

As others have said, the instructions are clear but poorly printed.

All most everyone says you need a helper to hold the fan while you wire it up and then install it. Nope. You don't. What you do is remove the fan blade assembly from the motor. An Allen wrench is supplied for the purpose. Install the Vortex in the vent with the wiring hanging through the fan opening. Then, working thought the opening, connect the wires and tidy up things with the tie wraps. See picture. Reinstall the fan. The instructions even give a slight hint this is the best way to do it.

Pros: Cheap, easy, moves a lot of air.

Cons: A bit noisy, no frills. I don't mind the noise too much as the fan is in the living room and we'll likely use it most when away from the trailer or cooking. That should help with the smoke detectors! Also you can't get the screen assembly off the unit (for cleaning) without removing the vent opening knob. And lastly, I can't plug the vent with my vent cushion anymore.

Very much worth the $50 and the short time required for install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0075.jpg (61.7 KB, 19 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote