View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
radiow6lar

Default What I'm using now.

We have an 2006 Aljo 225LT for our present RV. I set about to get the usual stuff put together for mobile ham radio ops when we first bought it. I settled on a High Sierra 1800 for the antenna system. As I certainly don't operate while in motion I placed the mount at the top of the rear ladder. When we are stopped I just climb the ladder and drop the 1800 in place.

I ran the coax and power out through the refer cabinet. So far its working really well.

On this issue I got to tell you I have one very understanding and supportive XYL. She's a Ham too but thats another story. The control cable and coax connector are mounted on the lower face of the bench seat for our dining area. The radio/laptop/etc. goes right on the table and the radio connects to the bulkhead coax connector. Its really nice to "tune" the antenna when its 30 degrees outside or raining from the comfort of a nice warm RV.

Performance wise so far its been pretty good. I did have to add some capacitance to the base of the antenna mount when operating on 80M.

I run an IC-718 in the RV and have an IC-706 MKII with a High Sierra SideKick on my TV. Also use VHF/UHF and 6M so I do have two smaller antennas on the TV along with the SideKick.
2004 F-150 XL Supercab HD
2006 Aljo 225LT, Solar Powered
Me: 43 1/2 years GTE (Verizon)
Wife: RN and 45 years putting up with Me!

CQ CQ CQ Ain't life Grand!
radiow6lar is offline   Reply With Quote