View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa2yly View Post
Maybe a good test would be to fill up a glass and do the smell and taste test?
The taste test would be definitive: if you get sick and die after tasting the water, it needed sanitizing. That, however, may not be acceptable.

I live in my motor home full-time, and never sanitize the tank. Instead, I use it continuously. I am nearly always hooked up to city water, and always have my water pump on to enforce a minimum water pressure. Every time I shower, the pump runs to give me good pressure no matter how poor the city-water pressure is; I'd guess that about half or more of the water I use has gone through my tank, and I have to fill it about every ten days (it's a 91-gallon tank); so the water never gets old in the tank. I wear out a pump every three or four years; it takes about ten minutes to install a new one after I put PowerPoles on it.

When I started doing this, I sanitized the tank with a gallon of Clorox the first time I filled it; drained and refilled a couple times to get rid of the Clorox; then had it tested. Nice and clean. Tested again in a week, then in two weeks, then a month, then about three months -- all perfectly safe. So I stopped worrying, since nothing was growing in the tank, and now I test about once a year.

Works for me. Your mileage may vary.