View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
Radio
Administrator

I likely won't even try. I certainly won't be photographing anything that requires protective filters to look at.

We will have about 2:15 of totality. I been told that the corona (and all that other stuff) is about as bright as a full moon and of course is safe to look at with unprotected eyes. And cameras.

I suspect though, that since the lens only goes out to 280mm (35mm equivalent) that my images of the totality event will be puny and unimpressive. And there will be many online images I can point to and say "Yeah! It looked just like that!"

So you think if I limit myself to the first minute of the event and put the camera away I'll be safe?

On edit: I just checked pricing on a 58mm diameter solar filter and $60 or so is to rich for me, especially since NASA will be making much better pictures than me and giving them away. That and the aforementioned puny composition. That's just too much for a filter I'll use once.

I do have an older Fuji digital camera that I may take and put on a tripod to video about 5 - 10 minutes before/after the totality of peoples reaction and let folks see just how dark it did get. That might be fun.

Once I see the event with bare eyes though, I'll be mindful of the clock anyway as I'll be putting the goggles back on right about the 2:00 mark to catch the "diamond ring" effect.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote