View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #17
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Perhaps I was not clear enough on the grounding /ground pin.

I only presented two viewpoints, I am not supporting either one. Only presenting, I sit firmly atop the fence on this one.

As for the floating neutral in the sub panel..... NO, it does not float, it is bonded to ground... You just can not see the bond looking, as you are, at the sub panel.

Why is this,, Think about what "SUB" means, (it means it is off the MAIN panel and that is where they did the bonding of course)

However..... IT MIGHT FLOAT (in an RV) if you are running off the generator or inverter.
In a sub panel (rv's) or any panel behind a main breaker the neutral is not bonded to the ground. The lugs are not bonded to the panel the ground is. Sub panels require a ground, a neutral and a hot one good reason for this is camp ground wiring if the hot and neutral are reversed you could end up with a hot frame not a good thing chances are it would trip the breaker but suppose the ground is not good? At the main panel yes indeed the two are bonded together but that all changes with a sub panel this is why main panels have 4 lugs two hot one ground and one neutral if it is a main there is a bonding screw that is installed to bond the neutral to the ground in a sub panel the neutral is insolated from the ground.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote