Thread: Checking In
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
KF5BET

Congrats on passing the tech Moe.

I am fairly new to ham radio myself. I got my tech and then a couple months later went ahead and got my general. Getting the general really opens up a lot more areas for you to explore.

As for radios, I second the caution about Ebay. I bought my first 2m mobile rig on Ebay and it worked OK for a little while and then problems arose. Save your cash and you can get a pretty good new rig for not much more money. I just purchased an Icom 2m rig this past week for the truck and paid 160 to my door. Shop around, but I would stick to the big retailers since they usually have the better prices.

Get involved in your local club if there is one. The guys (and gals) there should be more than happy to help you learn as much as you want. They might even be a good source for obtaining equipment. I'm sure someone will be more than willing to ELMER you. I know that is the case with my local club.

I also agree with the listening. Once you get your rig set up, listen a lot. You will be able to tell the good from the bad pretty quick.

The internet is also a good study tool. I have found a lot of information by just googling a subject. Beware and question everything though, not all is well with a lot of the infromation. Another reason to get involved in the club. They can demystify a lot of your questions.

Most of all have fun. I have really enjoyed learning about ham radio. I love to tinker with antennas, listen to hf and 2m. Currently I am looking into what it would take to try and contact the ISS and work satellites. PSK and computer modes also hold a pretty good interest for me. As you can see, there is more to do than we have time for.

Go out and try something. I think Ham radio is so much more than ragchewing with the some people every morning or evening and not trying new things. Of course that's my 2 cents (or quarters by the length of this) worth.

Galen
KF5BET
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote