View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default F-150 Mirror Upgrade

There is a plethora of temporary tow mirror solutions out there. I have about decided that I don't like any of them. All have their shortcomings, vibration, potential theft, damage to finish of the vehicle, can't see what you're looking at, and so on.

The mirrors that come with the F-250 are way better.

So I got on E-bay and for $139 (free shipping) found a set of after-market copies of the F-250 mirrors. There are videos on YouTube about how to get the door panels off/on to install the mirrors. It took me 35 minutes, each side, start to finish.

Random thoughts.

1. Like a new pair of glasses, it takes a bit to get used to them, but you can see so much more. The convex part on each side adds so much even to just daily driving.
2. They come with "Puddle Lights" but unless you currently have puddle lights they're not going to work. At least not on my truck.
3. They don't have the auto extend/retract feature.
4. If you watch the YouTube videos you'll understand how to r/r the door panel. Every video out there has the socket sizes wrong. You'll need a nice SAE/metric 1/4" drive socket set and a couple of slotted screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. That's all. A helper is nice but I did mine by myself.
5. None of the videos will tell you to roll down the windows before you start. I will tell you. Roll down the windows before you start, as you will need to reach through the open window to hold the mirror while you bolt it in place.
6. They do not have the auto day/night feature the original F-150 mirrors had. I think I'm going to miss that.

Your "mileage may vary" - this is a 2007 truck, the mirrors you will need and door panel instructions depend on your truck.

For the cost, about twice that of good "add on" mirrors, you can have permanent, real mirrors that won't vibrate, fall of or get stolen. If it takes 10 minutes to install clip ons each trip, you'll have made your time up in 6 trips.

They take a day or two to get used to, but you can see so much more. Almost like information overload. Towing, and backing in, just got a lot easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0262.jpg (52.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0263.jpg (54.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0264.jpg (85.5 KB, 2 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote