View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricflyer View Post
A drone with a decent camera, great software will set you back over $1000. You need a tablet for good control. Many campgrounds and RV parks now restrict the use of drones as they may be considered an invasion of privacy. Flying one just standing in one place can be a challenge let alone fly one while moving. A recent rally I was at one of the people had a very nice drone that was about $2000. Drones have to be registered with the government also. Good luck on finding one suitable at a reasonable cost. I know another RVer that just bought a reconditioned one for about $1100. Check Amazon or Ebay, look at product reviews.
If you fly as a hobby it does not have to be registered if it's less than .55# However a lawsuit was filed and at this point you do not have to register a personal quad at all it is uncertain if the FAA will fight it or not) there are a good deal of can and cannots most all are common sense. Here is a good read from the FAA be ready for a bit of Gov. speak but the answers are there and for a hobbyist not overly restrictive just sensible operation.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
A quality quad can be bought for around $500 they have GPS controls making them easy to fly by comparison to cheaper stuff that leaves you on your own to fully control the aircraft. A lot of hand eye stuff and the whims of any wind making it a full time operation. The better ones stop in place when you release the controls the cheap ones have a tendency to wander around on their own unless you are paying strict attention you have to fly it. My first one was a do it yourself flyer and miraculously I still have it despite things like trees and buildings I will say if you could fly them you can fly any modern quality one.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote