View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
KF5BET

My family entered into the camping community almost by accident. A coworker of the wife had a used 5th wheel that they were selling. On a whim, we went over to their house and looked at it. Next thing I knew the guy was backing it into our driveway and it became ours. What a learning experience it became. What kind of hitch should I buy? How much stuff can we pack? What tools do we need? How far can we go on a tank of gas (that's an important one....)? How do we fix the refrigerator while we are camping? The list goes on.

Our two girls love to go camping, whether it's in a state park or Fort Wilderness at Disney World. We love to go fishing on the pier even if we don't get a bite. Sitting around the campfire on a cool evening or playing board games at the dining room table. Boggle is one of our favorites, you know your girls are growing up when they beat you!

The girls and I got involved with ham radio through school. My eldest, had a science project and one of the projects was getting a Tech license. Abbi had already done her project, but a friend convinced her to take the class because she didn't want to be alone (along with 15 other kids. hi hi). When Abbi came home and told me she was going to take the class, I said "I want to as well". I believe that 5 or 7 passed the test that year. We were introduced to the local club through the class, and become members at the conclusion of the class and subsequent license. The very next year, our younger daughter, Kendra said she wanted to take the class. I was now a "helper" to the instructor and Kendra passed her test as well.

Being a ham has also been a great learning experience. What kind of radio to buy? What kind of antenna to buy or build? How do I set up a radio? How/ what are all of the different modes can be operated? How do I stay out of trouble with the feds? The list goes on just as it does with camping.

I believe that kids will be involved with extra activities when they are encouraged and supported by their family. The girls and I are very active in our local club, and it is a way for them and I to have quality time (Dads..get out their and do things with your kids... even your daughters). I really enjoy the time the girls and I spend together doing things we all love, and besides, it gives mom a little time to herself. Mom supports ham radio, because it benefits our family.

Am I proficient in camping? Nope, but it is a learning process that I hope to never "know it all". Am I proficient in ham radio? Not even close. I try to learn something every day. When we stop learning, we stop living.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote