View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Sad to see 'em go. I purchased a couple of high-end turntables from them in the 70s. And the cartridges and needles to keep them going over the years. Then it was the odd stereo amp and or preamp from them. Even some occasional sets of bookshelf speakers and blank reel-to-reel tapes. During Christmas, I'd load up on their always great Radio Controlled toys and terrorize the cat or dog, whichever was resident at my QTH at that time :-) I watched the local Lafayette Radio store turn into a Radio Shack. RS was always a fun place to visit.

I don't remember any ham gear in my local Reno, NV store back then, but maybe my memory fades...

In the last few years, I raided their parts bin many times for switches, PL/S0-259 connectors, and connectors, adapters, cables, clocks, soldering accessories, WX stations, phones... just a bunch-0-stuff.

Over the last two weeks RS has been deeply discounting everything in their stores. Including the fixtures in some of them. I've stopped at a few "Shacks" since the discounts began. I've now bought dozens (hundreds?) of additional connectors, audio adapters, ground rods, cables, switches and just misc electronics stuff. Some at 50% off. Some at 60 or even 80% off.

Radio Shack will live for a long in my junk box (crate, really :-) until I don't live anymore.

Yup, Sad to see 'em go.

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote