View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

There are several kinds of hams.. Me: I'm a certified electronics technician. I studied the ARRL Extra Class license manual, I've been licensed for over 40 years and though I took a rig out of a box, pluged it in and use it. IN the past I've been known to build my own, both from a kit and from a parts-list, including doing the design work on some modules. (Still do a small amount of that, kind of fun)

Others,, Well, they read a book, or took a "Fast start" class, and opened a box

Others Well, I won't mention the name of the "School" or book, but it's a memory cram course, This question is answered this way, That quesiton that way,, Nothing but questoins and answers and hints as to how to remember the answer.. NO theory, NO rules (Save for the answer to the question) NO "how to" just the questions and their answers. Nothing more.

I suspect the OP.. And in fact most (if not all) the folks here, are in the "Knows the smell of hot solder" group. And I do admit... When you are at the stage where.. Well, earlier today someone ask me a math related question (What percentage of 5 is 3) and I had the answer dang near before he finished the question (60).. I mean this is right around 1st grade math.. But where as I can do problems like that in my sleep.. Some folks hear a question like that and go "OH, That's math, I can not do math" and hit a mental wall.

(I majored in math, and science, and electronics)

Then there is another syndrom which we all suffer from time to time.. I call it the "Name Tag" syndrome

You know why salesmen wear name tags? A:IN case they forget their own name

From time to time.. You will, for some unknown reason, draw a complete blank on YOUR OWN NAME. This is not a warning or danger sign (normally) it's just your mind travling a different path and .. Well... You draw a blank.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote