View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
TXiceman

Last year during the Schoole Club Roundup, I heard a similiar exchange from some "operators" starting a net.

I had made contact with a school club in PA and was enjoying listening to the young operators work "his frequency". He was doing a great job and getting a fir number of contacts when about 10 minutes before the hour, a BIG staion booms in without waiting to be identified and tells him, he needs to move off frequency as they had theie net starting on the housr. The youngster tried to tell hinm thay they were working a contest and would be shutting down in about an hour.

The so called net controller, proceded to start calling the net early and told the people to kick on the amps and talk over the other station. I called him back and told him that that was not proper operating procedure and was told to mind my own business and I could join the net if I wanted. Told him I would not operate with such a bunch of rude operators. I was accused of being a frequency cop.

Next time, I will jot down the offending staion ID's and complain to the FCC. These kinds of operators hopefully do not represent may of the hams out there.

Another area of poor operator experience is responding to a DX station. Operators do not even wait for the station to call QRZ for the next contact. They just start calling over the sign off. Yes we would all like to make the DX contact, but we need to be polite.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote