Thread: Newbie Oldbie
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
W3TLN

Default Newbie Oldbie

First became interested in amateur radio in 1958. There was a ham on my paper route. Still remember his call. It was W3AEN. He had a Heathkit DX100 and a Hallicrafters SX99. He would invite me to come over in the evenings. My Dad and I built a Allied Ocean Hopper receiver and I became an avid SWL. Still have the QSL cards I received and I had my own SWL-W3 cards printed.

Discovered cars and girls, busy college years, got married, new house at 25 and 2 children and ham radio took a back seat to other interests. Twice during those years I joined ARRL and would read QST. Bought a code oscillator, test question books, etc. but never took the final step.

Retired in 2001 and bought an RV and started to spend 5+ winter months in FL. Developed a friendship there with another RVer that also was a ham.

In January of 2012 I was reading the Crystal River, FL newspaper and saw a notice that the Citrus County Amateur Radio Club was having a two Saturday Technician class. I enrolled and past the test. I was elated that after 54 years I finally had a license.

Came home in April and ordered some new gear from AES and a couple other suppliers. Changed my KB3YBO assigned call to the vaniity W3TLN. I had thought about applying for my original elmer's call of W3AEN but opted for my initials instead.

I also joined the local ham club, Skyview Radio Society. I had belonged to the processor of this club in 1959! I had been on their yahoo mailing list for 5 or 6 years. Skyview is a very active club with a super club house and a great radio room with 4 or 5 operating positions. Started to attend their weekly meeting and got lots of help and advice.

I operate 10, 6, 2m and 440. I like HF SSB but the Tech privileges limit me to 10m.

I plan to upgrade to General in the next few months.

So I consider myself a Newbie Oldie or a Oldie Newbie.

-Tom, W3TLN

W3TLN is offline   Reply With Quote