Thread: Grounding
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
Default Grounding

GROUNDING
I’m going to stick my foot in my mouth here and offer some thoughts and experience on grounding for Ham RV’er’s .
Over the years I have dealt with “Grounding” situations in everything from Power Production to house wiring to automotive electrical systems and everything in between, any real electrician or engineer will tell you what might look like a ground “AIN’T NESSISARLY SO”.
But in order to keep things simple (hopefully) I will recommend the following.
1. The “SINGLE POINT GROUND RULE” for Ham Radio should be kept in mind so that ALL station equipment (Chassis, frame, cabinet grounds) tie together at one single termination point or buss-bar.
The idea here is to eliminate “GROUND LOOP” so the equipment ground does not act as an antenna thus helping RF get into places that it’s not wanted.

2. When creating a “BUSS” to frame connection and / or frame to ground rod connection, these point’s should be soldered (if possible) or bolted (not just a self-drilling sheet metal screw if it can be avoided ) , (use #10 copper wire (or larger) for these) the connection point should be clean (no paint or non-conductive coating ) do not trust just the drilled hole and bolt threads to make the connection.
3. All connection points should have a thin coat of grease or other anti-oxidant compound, especially those made outside the living area at the frame, etc., etc.
See K0BG’s site, http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html for more information.
4. ANY GROUND is better than NO GROUND, in most places you can “SPUD” in a 4 foot rod with a gallon or so of water with not too much effort, remember you’re a “portable” operation so keep it simple and easy to pull in order to move on when ready.
5. DO NOT TRUST camp ground electrical systems to be properly grounded (unless a ground rod is clearly visible and even then some are questionable).
6. ALWAYS use good quality connection hardware, COPPER or BRONZE connectors are available at most home stores and all electrical suppliers, ALWAYS use an anti-oxidant when making connections to dis-similar metals ( copper to aluminum ect.).

As something of a side note:
Many years ago the U.S.G.S. undertook a survey of “GROUND POTENTIAL” in the United States, their findings and maps can be found in several places on the web.
Bottom line here is, “GROUND POTENTIAL” is not the same in Colorado as it is in Florida ( there are of course variations in all area’s) and unless you are equipped and prepared to do your own testing you shouldn’t worry too much about it (just be aware).
What I have tried to present here is a “RULE OF THUMB” approach, everyone will find a bit different variation that will work for them, so please no flames!