View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
w7wv

That will not work for me unless I raise the console a bunch. Mine sits on the floor and it's a reach for the drink holder.
But that just might be my option in the long run.
I had even thought of a little fold down from the dash that I could make and hinge it up when I am operating SSB HF which is about 90% of my time. But then I still have to adjust to the idea of no elbow down to send CW which I am sure I could do.
I even thought of build the key into the dash and using my knee while seating in the driver's seat for the elbow down too.
I don't operate while driving other than a little 2 meters once in a great while. I like to band hop and find it too distracting.
I am also not a high speed CW op. 7-12 WPM for me is fine and then I still like to write it all down.
Old habits from copying encrypted in the Army die hard when you can't fill in the blanks.
I just don't spend enough time on the air with CW to learn to hear the words but it works for me.
I think the fastest I ever got up to was around 20 WPM as a Novice in the 70s after discharge from the Army when I got my first ticket. But I lost interest and did not have the time so I dropped it and moved on to the family and the job which kept my plenty busy.
I still enjoy CW once in awhile however. It's different.
Now if I could just take the time to learn Spanish. Maybe that's my next goal. So many stations out there I could work if I knew it!
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote