View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Radio
Administrator

The roads and trees iced over. I just stayed home as the roads were not passable. My airline job is not mission critical on a per flight basis.

The ice laden trees came down on the power lines and put us in the dark 3 separate short times. Others were out 3 long days. The antennas were all fine. In 2000 it tore up the quad pretty bad but I fixed the boom with a re-reinforcing kit Qubex put out after they realized the original boom would not handle any kind of ice load.

Brought in LP heaters, percolator, battery alarm clock and all that sort of stuff from the camper. Stayed about 65F in the house, recall it was only 27F outside, not that 5F stuff they get up north. Actually had a bit of fun. Watched no TV. Oh well. Got on the Internet via Kindle and the U-verse WAP which has a UPS.

My daughter camped out at the hospital where she works. They gave her an "atta-girl" reward for quick thinking when tired and under pressure, where her actions greatly improved the odds of survival/quality of care for several cardiac patients. There was no cardiologist available (at times) and her prompting steered the remaining non-cardio type doctors (an anesthesiologist and a general ER guy) towards the best course of action.

She had more going on there than we did here. Here was pretty laid back. We just stayed home, stayed warm and enjoyed the time to ourselves.

Looking forward to the next one.

BTW, it was 75F when I got off work today. Go figure.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote