View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #10
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
They push air bags as a safety device but every accident where air bags deploy is an injury accident..What injury..Air bag deployment injury of course.
One must ask, of course, what the injuries would have been without the air bags. Typically much worse, I think. Much worse. Much.

A young person very dear to me totaled her car (no lightning involved) in Oklahoma City about three weeks ago, just three days before her high-school graduation. She had some sore places from being hit by air bags, but walked easily during the ceremony. Without air bags she would probably have sustained serious internal and external injuries and brain damage. Thank you, air bags!

She had been working hard and saving up for a better car anyway, and was well on the way to having enough. Last week, with a little help from friends (including Your Obedient Servant NN5I) she purchased a pretty little blue 2003 Mustang, and henceforth will be a better driver. Many young people total their first car and learn from it. What they learn is that it can happen to them. This is worth learning.

As for lightning, how the heck can you avoid it? The very expression a bolt from the blue means a totally unpredictable event. The metal car body, acting as a sort of makeshift (and very imperfect) Faraday shield, usually helps a lot, but I wouldn't volunteer to be a test subject. Would you, N3LYT?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taylor's new car.jpg (112.1 KB, 15 views)