View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Paul Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Well, of course with the rise of smartphones and such, amateur repeaters face competition. But we have some advantages:

(1) Group round-table conversations, not possible on smartphones, I think -- but then, what do I know? I've never used a smartphone.

(2) On ham radio, we get to talk with strangers. On a smartphone, or any phone, if you're talking with a stranger, he's trying to sell you a product or a candidate, or maybe scamming you.

(3) After an initial outlay, ham radio can be free unless your transmitter is big enough to affect the power bill. Mine isn't, any more; it once was, about 40 or 50 years ago when I'd been a ham for only a couple decades or so.
Carl thank you for responding you make some good points. I believe cell phone usage and HAM radio are separate issues. Yes both involve wireless communications but the people and uses are different. Hams radio is a challenge and HAM people like that. Cell phone is mostly a toy used less and less as a tool. But you can do Ham things on the cell phone. A program "Zello" available at your app store allows your cell phone to act as a push to talk radio. A group of Hams, "SAM'S RADIO HAMS" currently use it for a "net" every week in place of the currently difficult 40 meter band.

HAM RADIO IF used irregularly and correctly is an amazing opportunity for enjoyment and community support. Information and safety concerns can be easily processed if we are using our equipment. Knowing other hams in our area can resolve many issues. Even entering an area different than our own a local ham, if monitoring can assist you, and assist someone you are near if hams are monitoring the calling frequencies. Ham radio is important for more than the 2 or 3 times A year we support community activities.

EVERYONE PLEASE monitor and talk. Make our education, investment and hobby all it can be.
Paul Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote