View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Seems like a bad idea to me. My e-mail hasn't changed since at least 1985 and is not likely to change within my lifetime, but those whose e-mail does change will now have to update it with ORR?

To what purpose? In the 3/4 of a decade that I've been on ORR, ORR and I have never interacted via e-mail, and it's hard to imagine why ORR even needs to know my e-mail at all (though I don't object to providing it, except that my current userid -- my callsign -- is shorter -- 4 characters instead of 13 -- quicker, and more convenient to use).

I visit lots of web sites, the vast majority of which have never asked for my e-mail. They really don't need it, and truly it seems obvious to me that ORR doesn't really need it either. So why do this?

Of course, I can think of one reason people seek to compile lists of e-mail addresses. A thousand pardons for not naming it -- surely you wouldn't do that.

Incidentally, I notice that lately I must log in every time I visit. That's new.

*** later ***

Aha, I had to re-click "Remember me" -- some recent change must have made ORR forget that I had clicked it some time ago.