View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Some general info on Air Conditioners: IN many cases you can replace just the upper (ROOF) unit, Even if you have a discontinued model like the Carrier Air V (At least two companies, Advent and Coleman, make "Adapters" so their upper units fit a Carrier lower, Requirements, Ducted, and not a heat strip or heat pump unit)

Second, IF you have Carrier Air V. units.

Pop the top. near the compressor about 4-5 O'Colk positoin if you are standing behind it relative to the compressor, there are two tubes that run down and back up, Like a pllumbing trap.. My guess is these are to absorb vibration of the compressor without busting welds in the pipe.

The pipes touch each other at the bottom, as the compressor vibrates they rub against each other and eventually rub holes, which is damaging to the unit.

The fix: Spread 'em. (or glue 'em but spread is easier).

Bad workmanship in my opiinion but at 7 years old I can't easily hit up Carrier for the replacement cost..

If anyone else has this issue.. And wishes to start something.. Please let me know.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote