View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Welcome abord... To help you get licenesed there are two groups of license guides... I kind of like the first but I need to qualify that by saying I do hold a certificate in Electronics (may be old and yellowed but it's genuine).

ARRL licensing guides... www.arrl.org and click on store These, per some others, are best for folks with a good background in electronics,, They not only give you the questions and answers but explain how to arrive at the answers,, A very good course in my opinion.... When I upgraded to extra the combination of these guides and a human teacher made it fast and easy.. I did fail to complete the classes (Schedule conflict) but I passed the test before I left (missed 2 questions).

Gorden West books.... Now I used this type of book when in college for 1/2 of one class.. He gives you the questions and the answers and occasionally a "Trick" (mnemonic) to help you remember the answer.. But he does not explain many of the answers. When I tried it for the Extra class license it took me about half an hour of study to hit a wall I could not get past.

As I tell folks, the ARRL guide smashed the wall and the Teacher,,,, Ground up the rubble, mixed in a bit of a well known powder and water and poured it back out as nice smooth pavement.

I'm told these are better for folks who do NOT have a good grounding in electronics.

http://twit.tv/hn Go to that URL long about 9pm MOST Wed's (Jan 1 may be an exception) and click on WATCH LIVE. There is also an IRC channel (Change hn to irc in a second window).
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote