View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
w7wv

It's been awhile since I was involved.
But to anyone who insists it's not a contest they were not members of the two clubs I was in.
That was all they lived for and worked for all year long. They lost a few members due to this as there were other interests too that they ignored.
They talked about ways to get more points with various stations and modes constantly.
The last club I was with when I got back into this set up with solar panels and and big battery packs high on a mountain at nearly 10K' and ran low power (less than 5 watts if I remember right). Of course the location and the beams they put up helped a lot.
I set it up and took it down with them. The only ops I did then was at a 6 meter station for about 2-3 hours to give others a relief and I don't remember ever getting an answer.
Most of the club members were into high speed CW. I never was a high speed CW op, 15-20 at best and I don't operate CW much anymore. I think they had 3 CW stations, 2 HF and the 6 meter station the year I went with them to the hill.
I could have operated the HF stations as I had my general within a short time after returning from a long absence after being a Novice in the 70s but to me it was rather boring.
I did not note the other post, in reviewing it I see most there go for FD.
That's the great thing about Ham Radio, you can do many things with it. When it comes to FD I would rather go fishing! :fishing:
But then again I have been known for being out there on my own just doing whatever.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote