View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #14
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Several comments:
First: Though Radios were not as sofisicated 50 years ago 1,000 watts is still 1,000 watts.
But cars, 50 years ago, had simple mechanical analog computers, not todays modern digital electronic jobs and the mechanical computers of 50 years ago (Spark advance system, carb, ect) were impervious to RFI since they were not electronic, They could, however, cause RFI. (interference to the radio).

Though 100' of heavy duty grounding strap sounds good, There are two schools of thought.

ON Ham Nation: Bob Heil likes single point grounding , he uses outlet adapters to "Lift" the ground pin on his transmitters so the only ground is via the coax to the tower ground.

George Thomas uses a big heavy ground bus and multiple Straps a-la DX Enginering.

As to who is right and who is wrong..... The answer is actually both, under different conditions. I have to admit there are times when I wonder why the 3rd pin on the outlet.. IE: Laptop computers with all plastic housed bricks and so on, There is no direct connecting between what I'm touching and anything outside of the box.
With the ground pin it's all about line noise and the computer if there is a sub panel involved it has a floating neutral so a ground pin is needed. Me I believe in single point grounds for my home ham gear and tower every thing is linked together including the house power.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote