Thread: New to Ham
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
Jim:

Just got home from work, so can answer your questions.

Yes a local ham club did sponsor the class (Acadiana Amateur Radio Association, Inc.) They taught the class at our local Children's Museum where they have a shack set up.

There were 14 students and 2 dads in this last class. There were 6 who passed the Technician test (both dads and 4 students). Most of the students took the class as a required physics project for their 6th grade science class. Abbi had already done her project, but wanted to take this class as well (I just tagged along because I wanted too!)

Hopefully we will get radios fairly soon and then we can really start learning. I downloaded echolink to the computer, but still have to get it all worked out.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I might be asking a lot of questions real soon. I do plan on joining the local club here as well.

Galen

Galen,

Please do not feel bad about the call sign thing. I had WB4QBW since about 1970. I never liked the call. It was terrible when running CW and giving it out phoenetically was even a pain when using voice. After some consideration I changed my call recently to my current call of W4EWA. A good CW call (in my opinion) and when you drop the 4, it is the nick-name for the small town I live near, Wewahitchka. Wewahitchka is normally called Wewa by the locals because most people cannot pronounce the indian name. Anyway, I said all thay to say; At time I'm have a bad time saying my new myself when operating voice. I've screwed it up on several occassions, so don't worry about the confusion on your calls.

I think that is admirable of you and the other father taking the time to go through the course to get your licenses. It says a lot about you. Tell Abbi, if she is interested to create an identity and jump right in here too. I assure you this is a good bunch of guys. I don't think we have any YL's on the forum, she would be the first. We're kinda small but growing. ORR is "Radio's" brainchild and he, Greg and Mike do a great job with the forum. I can't say enough good things about them.

I'm just full of questions Galen. What do you do to bring home the bread up there ? I retired the end of July, 2005 after spending a number of years in law enforcement. I'm in the Florida panhandle, 25 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and 25 miles east of Panama City. Some great places to RV near the beaches here if you get the oppertunity.

Welcome again Galen, we're looking forward to your posts.

Jim