View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #32
electricflyer

When you mention the B-36 I remember meeting the pilot of the B-36 that made the last flight ever when it was flown to the AF Museum. That being the B-36 that is on exhibit at the National Air Force Museum on the NE side of Dayton Ohio, on the south edge of Wright Patterson AFB. I don't remember his name but I met him when he was the plant manager of a company that made horse trailers in Gallatin, TN. Also in the museum is a "Twin Mustang", F-82B that was flown by Col Bob Thacker and he set a speed and distance record from Hawaii to Washington, DC by a propeller driven aircraft in 1957 (he was a Captain then). The nose of the plane was named "Betty Jo" for Col Thacker's wife. I met Col Thacker in Omaha and he rode with us (several other AF personnel) to a RC Sailplane National meet in Chicago back in the late 60's.
The building that houses the B-36 was built around it just like the 4th building at the museum is being built around the XB-70 which used to sit outside in the elements for many years. If you ever have at least 2 days of time you need to visit the museum because there is so many aircraft there one day will not do it justice. The museum is FREE to visit, donations accepted. There is a fee to see the IMAX theater, they have a cafeteria and a souvenir shop also. Naturally, being in Dayton there is a large exhibit area about the Wright Bros.
The 4th building will open on June 8, 2016 with the XB-70 inside. I encourage anyone that goes to the Hamvention to take at least one more day and go to the museum. I used to live about a mile north of Hara Arena for 18 years in Englewood, OH and visited the AF Museum several times a year as they were constantly changing the exhibits.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote