Thread: TVI filterette
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Solid-state amplifiers need not be more nonlinear than vacuum-tube amplifiers (it's nonlinearity that produces harmonics and other spurs). Tube amps are typically class C amplifiers (very nonlinear) for CW, FM and AM, but typically class AB or sometimes class B for amplifiers that are intended for amplifying SSB signals (so-called linear amplifiers).

The real difference is often between recent amplifiers and old-time amplifiers. Modern amps usually differ from old ones mostly in having lots more filtering at the output, especially if they're no-tune amps, which are always recent.

If you're using a modern rig barefoot, or any rig with a modern linear amp, you probably don't need the TVI filter. But if you're using an old rig barefoot, or any rig with an amp that requires to be tuned up manually on each band (or part of a band), the TVI filter will help a lot and may even be essential.

If you are careless and overdrive any amplifier, the TVI filter may save you considerable embarrassment; any amp becomes nonlinear when overdriven.

I'd keep it and use it; it can't do any harm.