View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default New fan light kit upgrade - finally!

I never liked the light kit that came with the ceiling fan in our Rockwood 8280SS. I didn’t like the modern style and the fact it was 3 spotlight things no matter which way they were pointed. I didn’t like the harshness of the light. With a limited selection of bulbs, mainly CF or incandescent available in that type base, changing the bulbs made it worse with that cold blue CF light that had to warm up, to boot.

I just wasn’t happy with the light. And I tend to over think things. Especially when it comes to camper stuff. Electrical Stuff. And light.

I figured the switch plate on the bottom of the fan (which in this case also holds the 3 spot light fixtures) would be some odd ball size that could not be found anywhere. And I was right. It’s about ¼ in too small to be replaced with anything you could get at a big box store or even Amazon. I was wrong however in my assumption this was an insurmountable problem in replacing the light kit.

You just have to disassemble the old kit, reuse the switch plate, and not worry about the 3 holes that are left over from the old spot light fixtures. The holes are almost invisible once the new light kit is installed. Once the switch and light fixtures are removed from the plate the install proceeds like any other fan light kit install. Why I had such a mental block about it I don’t know. I guess I didn’t want to live with the 3 extra holes (that are nearly invisable.)

That and I tend to rant on about the quality of light in my camper.

Or something.

So at Loew’s the other day I came across a light kit that looked promising. SKU 0429786. There are several kits in this series with various finish to the metal. This kit is brushed nickel which matches the fan. It has 4 alabaster shades and takes candelabra type bulbs. The shades screw onto their bases and so WILL NOT fall off the fan while the trailer is in motion. Wonderful! The finished install produced an even, warm, bright, soft light that I was looking for. Perfect.

You’ll want to save the old fobs. The new ones are heavy and metal. Imagine a small ball ping hammer swinging around up there.

Cost $30 and about an hours time.

Pic 1 shows the old light kit disassembled and the old switch plate installed on the new kit. Note I saved the little connector from the old kit to make installing easier.

Pic 2 and 3 shows the fished install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0145.jpg (77.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0151.jpg (49.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0149.jpg (64.9 KB, 1 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote