View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
N7OQ

When I'm mobile I use a 102" whip tuned with Icom AH-4 tuner and a IC-706mkiig. While camping I have a work in progress, I bought a Buddipole and use the IC706mkiig.

I first used the Buddipole on Field day while camping in the mountains without trying it out first, bad idea, old Murphy had his field day. I set up and fired up the radio just before field day started. I had a s9 noise level coming form the Generator, so turned it off, I then found out that the Computer to radio interface USB also caused noise on parts of the band so I disconnected it, man I wanted to use that logging program. I then had a lot of RF feedback that was giving me a false SWR reading and I adjusted the Buddipole to short. Needless to say I heard a lot of stations but had a hard time working a dozen of so stations all day.

On my next camping trip I fixed some of the problems, I bought a MFJ-269 antenna analyzer and found out it was RF feed back causing my problems with SWR, I coiled up half the coax into a 5" to 6" coil and then everything loaded up ok. On the radio interface I added some ferrite beads to the cable and now it is quite. I have bought the parts I need to filter the Generator just need time to get it done. I have also bought parts to build a balun/unun for the antenna. Work in progress, but I will get a good portable station soon. On my last camping trip I made contacts all over the US and had no problems getting operators to answer my CQ and got good signal reports. Can't wait until this new sunspot cycle kicks in.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote