View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Two comment and two questions:

Comment: it would have been more sociable to ask our opinions before beginning. Might have saved you a world of work, if others' opinions are like mine.

Comment: I infer that you are not a radio ham and don't know our culture. For radio hams the callsign is the person's internationally recognized name. There are many individuals named Carl Hayes in the world -- one of them lived in Dallas at the same time I lived there, and didn't pay his bills, which caused me a world of heartburn -- but my callsign, NN5I, is guaranteed unique in all the world, by international agreements. So, among ourselves, we tend to use the callsign as primary identifier -- my callsign is my name -- as I did when joining ORR and many other web fora -- or forums, if you prefer.

Question: Did you seek anyone's opinion?

Question: Will our old userids persist and continue to display on our posts, or will we all become strangers to each other and have to learn each other's needlessly new "names" all over again? (With respectful communication beforehand, I would already know the answer and wouldn't have to ask.)