View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

The ARRL led me directly to the following, which I didn't find particularly difficult to understand.

There is no need for paperwork or other formalities when exchanging visits between Canada and the US. Under the terms of the agreement, the visitor must identify using his or her call sign followed by a call area suffix, e.g., VE3FRV/W9 or N9CFX/VE3.

According to the regulations in both countries, you must be a citizen of the country that issued your Amateur license or certificate in order to take advantage of this reciprocal operating agreement. That is, a Canadian citizen who holds a US call sign cannot use his US call sign in Canada under this agreement; he must get a Canadian certificate and call sign in order to operate in Canada. If you hold call signs from both countries, when you are in Canada you must use the call sign on your Canadian certificate and when you are in the US, you must use the call sign issued to you by the FCC.

You will have to know what province you're in, and which numeral it uses, so you'll know whether you're N7OQ/VE1 or N7OQ/VE3, etc.

Incidentally, that slashmark is usually pronounced "stroke".