Thread: Jt65-hf
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
MPSAN

Default Jt65-hf

Just a quick note about JT65-HF. I wanted to see what this was about. It seems that 20 watts is considered high power and that any antenna that will tune should work. however, I did not want to play with an interface just to test.

So, I brought my laptop near my TS940SAT and installed the JT65HF software (free). I then put a small PC mic on top of the rig. I had a 10m dipole that was way short. It was old and must have been cut as it was more like a 33 MHZ dipole. I hung it in my room in an "L" configuration. I tuned to 28.076 and heard Japan and other stations. Some I could not even hear. Later I tried 21.076 and 14.076.

So, I got a 2nd Mic (actually my Rigs Mic) and put it near the Laptop speaker. I called CQ and a JA came back. I also worked KL8DX in Denali Nat'l Park.

If you try this your PC clock has to be correct. Windows was OK, but I got Dimension 4 (also free) and all is good. With low power and almost any antenna this could be a lot of fun in an RV!

I hope some of you can give this a try. Ask any questions and I will try to help.

'73,
Dave-W6TGE