View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Arrgh (Stupid computer holler)

Ok, to topic.. With a small residence where to put the radio is a good question.

Consider many things before you grab screwdrivers and drills... I will list a few.

When I was a young man and never been kissed.. I had what is called an "Efficiency" apartment (Basically one room plus a curtained off bath) I mounted the radio to the night stand next to the bed/couch and that was great.. However somehow I think that now that I live with a wife...... That might not be such a good plan.

The Cockpit area (Driver/passenger seat) makes a lot of sense, very comfortable chairs designed to be sat in for hours on end.. BUT. 1: Driver's side is a bit cluttered already and what's more.. It gets real HOT up there even with the curtains drawn and the A/C on full when parked in full sun.

My rig is a "Bath and a half" model.. the counter in the half turned out to be just right for a Kenwood TS-2000 and that's where it's bolted.. Easy access to the cable runs for running cables. The 12 volt fuse panel is .. Well it's really in the bathroom wall (Bottom of the cabinet no less) so easy access to 12vdc at up to 80 amps continuous (Surge to over 160) I cut a "Vent" (Like the vent for the stove hood) into the wall and that's the feed through for cables (It is a bit more complex than that and may get even more complex later but that's where it is) and it is a room with a built in "Chair"..

Plus if I'm in a net and as you know as the NCS says "Go ahead ____ and stand by YOUR CALL" you suddenly feel the urge to visit another room... Well that's where you are all ready so you don't miss your turn.

Signal sounds crappy?... Just flush.

It is a bit.. close quarter though.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote