View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #20
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

After much debate and consideration, and a lot of input from you all and some local elmer friends, I have finally decided on purchasing a used IC-718 and an LDG -100 auto tuner. The antenna is a set of MFJ HF sticks, aka: Hamsticks or Hamtennas, or Dummy Loads on a stick. They have been performing well for me with solid RST reports. The hamstick mount is directly in the center of the roof, bolted into a steel cross-member to obtain the best possible ground plane. I can't go mobile with the antenna in that configuration, but I am a full-timer and I don't expect to be mobile more than once a year or so anyhow.

The base station is located in the cockpit between the two captains chairs prominently displayed on a Wal-Mart end table that I modified to perch on top of the engine cover. The feedline for both radios is run through the refrigerator vent on the roof, behind cabinets along the ceiling, down the windshield post trim, and across the dash.

Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote