Thread: Bibb
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
It's not every day that I encounter a word I don't know. When I do, I look it up. This habit has served me well.

Today I encountered a new word, bibb. I looked it up.

bibb, n. Naut. a sidepiece of timber bolted to the hounds of a mast to support the trestletrees.

Well, gosh. I grew up on Navy bases and thought I knew some nautical lingo. Continuing in the dictionary:

hound, n. pl. Shipbuilding The framing at the masthead of a vessel to support the heel of the topmast and the upper parts of the lower rigging.

trestletree, n. Naut. A strong timber fixed on the masthead to support the crosstrees, the frame of the top, and the topmast through the fid; -- chiefly in pl.

Dang. Gotta dig deeper.

masthead, n. The top of a mast, esp. of the lower mast.

heel, n. Naut. The lower end of a mast, a boom, the sternpost, etc.

crosstrees, n. pl. Naut. Two horizontal pieces of timber or metal supported by the trestletrees at a masthead, to spread the upper shrouds to support the mast.

fid, n. Naut. A square bar of wood or iron, used to support the topmast.

Phooey, I give up. Anyone know what a bibb is?
Golly gee Carl. All I've got is hose bibb. A nautical / sailing bibb? HMmmm...

I'm a fairly active recreational sailor since the late 70s. But "bibb" and "hound" and "fid" as nautical terms escape me. "Fid" escapes me regardless of nautical or not!

Yikes!

The rest I'm a little familiar with although I've never crewed on a tall-ship, I've at least heard the words used occasionally.

So shiver me timbers matey and good luck finding (or understanding) your answer before ya' be visiting Davey Jones.

ARGHHHHHhhhhh...

On edit:

ARGHHHHHhhhhh... (Thanks, Radio)

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote