View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

I can clear some of that up.

(1) The change is that a VE can grant upgrade credit for any element required for a license previously issued, no matter when. That is, the expired license itself serves as a CSCE for all higher-than-tech elements that were required for its original issue.

(2) It does not apply for expired VE-issued CSCEs when no license or upgrade was issued.

(3) It apparently applies only for license upgrades. Thus, if for example you are an expired Extra, you've got to get a Tech license or higher by examination; then you can upgrade to Extra at a subsequent VE session without any more testing, but only after the new Tech is issued. But this is still unclear; it may be that VEs can certify former licensees for General or Extra without waiting for a new Tech issuance.

(4) Advanced licenses are no longer issued. Former Advanced licensees can upgrade as far as General without additional testing, after first obtaining a new Tech.

Me, I approve. I also would approve totally automatic reinstatement merely by application. Actually I think ham licenses ought to be lifetime licenses just like my First Phone; the only drawback I see is that there would need to be a way for FCC to know when the licensee dies, so his callsign could be reused.