View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
electricflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Last time I was up for renewal I got junk mail offering to renew my license for me, for a fee. With all that junk mail, how could you over look it?

Now that finances have begun to slowly turn around I need to get back in the ARRL, if only for the magazine.
I think a number of old hams aren't familiar with the FCC website and think that someone has to renew their license for them and this is the way it is done. I had to tell my son and also my brother-in-law how to do it on-line. Brother-in-law said "that was slick", and he has had his license for over 40 years.

As for ARRL membership, Radio, I belong to the organization from the legal aspect. The lobbying for frequencies, legal help with antenna issues, and a number of other benefits. The magazine is just another benefit. Don't misunderstand, I not flaming you for not being a member of ARRL, just wanted you to look at it for something other than the magazine. I know times can be tough and in this economy you cut expenses where you can.

Hams don't have to be a ARRL member to get on the air so no real need to have it. I guess I just feel I have an obligation to the organization that represents us to the government. The cost is minimal with respect to all the other things we spend money on. I also belong to a national association for Miniature Aircraft Modelers, AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) and to participate in that hobby it is a necessity to be able to fly RC aircraft since liability insurance is needed to fly in any public space and the Academy provides a umbrella insurance policy for that. That membership cost $20 more than ARRL and I've belonged to it for over 50 years.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote