Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #21
WD8QBQ

Thumbs up

Dick, that's a real good site to add to my library

I'd like to share one with the forum, it's rather obscure and not likely to be found, but may be useful to someone with a specific and difficult question they need answered. I have asked questions there and it is unbelievable how fast a detailed answer appears. If you use the forum be sure to read the rules first,

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/index.php

Thanks, JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #22
Dick Noble

For those who are really into solar and boondocking - look at

www.solarovens.net

This site also has a solar tracker for their ovens.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
Bill Baxter

Solar panels: 4 at 175 watts/24VDC, max voltage 32.4VDC. Wired series parallel for 48V to controller. Controller is an MPPT and feeds the 24V house batteries. Six AGM's 8D at 250AH wired series parallel for 24V system. Batteries feed a Trace 4024 for AC supply. We can go three days - four if good long sunny days- without going below 50% charge. We don't skimp on usage. TV, sat dish, micro/convection, lights are all used liberally. Radios are a sometimes thing still trying to figure an easy antenna system. I don't run the generator unless I have to.

Bill
SKP #92317 FMCA #162523
MCI 102A3 w/S50 and HT70
Bill Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
WD8QBQ

Wink

Hey Bill, time to get out of Maine, don't you think.

Oh by the way, I don't run my generator unless I have to either,.

Just kidding, couldn't resist

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #25
dmreese1

http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2...er-that-works/

The link above is a great down to earth solar / boondocking information source. Bob has been there and done it and offers tremendously valuable advice.

I installed a 135W Kyocera panel and a 3 stage charge controller on my 2005 national RV - Tropical roof. I wanted a good charge source that would fully charge my 470ah battery tank with the correct (14.8V) voltage. I also installed a Trimetric monitoring system and it is terrific.

Only have about 7 amps in full sun, but I wired 4 guage wire from the roof to the controller and have the room and controller amps to add 3 more later on.

Duane
dmreese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #26
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Generally you are NOT to run a generator at night.. If you need O2 you can use a concentrator during the day (On Generator) in most parks, but I expect some will even object to that.

You can always use Tanked oxygen... That is about the only choice, the old fashion way like my mother, and my priest, both used to do.

Fun fact: Poor Fr. his tank ran empty and guess who, in that great big parish, knew how to change tanks (Well... I did not know but I have enough training to look at the job and figure it out on the fly and make it LOOK like I knew what I was doing... Fact is.. I had done it before but hey.. about 1960's so it had been a while)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #27
Bill Baxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreese1 View Post
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2...er-that-works/

The link above is a great down to earth solar / boondocking information source. Bob has been there and done it and offers tremendously valuable advice.

I installed a 135W Kyocera panel and a 3 stage charge controller on my 2005 national RV - Tropical roof. I wanted a good charge source that would fully charge my 470ah battery tank with the correct (14.8V) voltage. I also installed a Trimetric monitoring system and it is terrific.

Only have about 7 amps in full sun, but I wired 4 guage wire from the roof to the controller and have the room and controller amps to add 3 more later
on. Duane
Trimetrics is the only way to go for a battery monitor. I had an E Meter on the other coach but alas no longer made.

My max has been 26A at 28.2VDC. That's within less than half an amp from the panels maximum. Wired two panels in series and then to (#10 UF) Outback MX60 controller and on to the battery bank. Current flow in the #10 wire is only 6.5A I don't think the voltage drop over 12 feet is worth consideration. Maybe wrong as I didn't do any calcs. Just a SAWG.

Is is fun to sit in a boondocking campsite without the generator running everyday. Especially when the neighbors are running their's morning and evening for a couple of hours.

Cost effective probably not but is fun.

Bill
SKP #92317 FMCA #162523
MCI 102A3 w/S50 and HT70
Bill Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote