Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
KF5BET

Default Anyone know anything about this one?

Hey all:

Well I am the recipient of a used multi band vertical. I have no idea what bands it covers, who makes it or how old it is.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this is. It was given to me but the person had no idea except that it was hf. I do know that it is pre 2000. The radio that was used with this was an Icom 740.

Construction is all aluminum. 2 elements are 13" and 2 are 17" The radials on the bottom section are 48" long. The top mast section that contains the elements is roughly 6' long.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Galen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black box.jpg (58.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg elements.jpg (47.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg bottom.jpg (46.6 KB, 119 views)
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
One Country Boy

Morning Galen,

Looks like you did OK. I know you are going to enjoy the new radio.

I've never run any multi-band verticles, so not real familiar with them. I would be willing to bet someone on here will recognize the antenna. It's probably for 40 through 10 meters. It appears to be in good shape. Good luck with it.

Jim

Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
AE5BI

You could try and find resonant frequencies by seeing what bands you can tune to (at low power so you don't take any chances with your final amp) but if you have an antenna analyser you could do this easily before you put it up. Thats all I can think of.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

One of the things I'd love to have is an LP-100, alas, at the moment, no way, (But it will happen) http://www.telepostinc.com/

The idea is you could set your radio to it's lowest transmit power, Feed it to the LP-100 which in turn would feed the antenna, Hook up the computer and instruct the software to "Find out what this antenna is" (It's not quite that easy)

And you would, in very short order, know more about that antenna than the people who built it.!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
One Country Boy

I've got an MFJ Antenna Analyzer Galen. If we were closer, you would be more then welcome to use it. A nice piece of gear.

I was looking back at your photos of the antenna. It appears to have four (4) tuning stubs. Most verticles of that time period covered 40 thru 10 meters. I'm thinking the 4 tuning stubs are for (1) 40 meters, (2) 20 meters, (3) 15 meters and (4) 10 meters. I know you will be cleaning it up, but i would makrd the places where the different sections were in place. Hopefully the previous user had it set up correctly and tuned really well, so that could save you a lot of problems. Looks like a matching network or balun you have opened up there in the small rectangular box. Like I say, I don't know much about verticles, never used one. Just guessing.

Jim

Old 06-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Radio
Administrator

You might get some old radio supply catalogs or 73 magazines and try to match up a picture of the assembled antenna.

I'm guessing Hustler or MFJ.

Fun Project!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
VE3MPG

Default Cushcraft R5 or R7

This looks like a Cushcraft R5 or R7 vertical - a very good piece of kit. Once you get it cleaned up and check that the traps are in good working order you'll have a great DX hunting antenna.

Do a Google search and you'll find several sites on how to refurbish and rebuild the traps.

I have the R6000 a similar Cushcraft antenna that I refurbished last year. Have a look at my website at: http://ve3mpg.blogspot.com/ - there's an entry on what I used and how it was refurbished. The traps on your antenna are slightly different but there's lots of info on the net to repair these.

The Cushcraft website has downloadable PDF manuals available that will give you all the correct measurements of each element as well as a complete parts list. I used stainless hardware to refurbish my R6000.

Bob VE3MPG
VE3MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
One Country Boy

Pulled up the PDF file on the Cushcraft R5 Galen and I think that is your antenna. I believe Bob is correct. He's correct also about there being a lot of information out there on it.

http://www.cushcraft.com/support/pdf/r5.pdf

http://www.qsl.net/k2ap/R5.html

Thanks for giving him a hand Bob.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
VE3MPG

Default The R5

Always a pleasure to help.

Galen, you're really gonna like this antenna once you get it all fixed up. If you live where it's windy use guy ropes on it. I have mine guyed due to extreme wind in the winter and it survived last winter's driving winds without destroying itself. I live just south of Ottawa Canada where we get some good brutal winter conditions.

With my R6000 I've managed to work the world using psk modes and no more than 25 watts - it hears very well, part of that is due to my living in a very rural area surrounded by farms and forests.

Bob VE3MPG
VE3MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

I agree with VE3MPG...looks like the R7... I have the R5 at the campsite and it works well for 10-15-20....good luck with it...
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
shawje

My best guess would be a Cushcraft R5 10-12-15-17-20m vertical. Go to http://www.cushcraft.com/support/pdf/r5.pdf for the instructional manual. Good Luck with it. 73, Jim AL7BA/8
shawje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
KF5BET

Hey guys:

Just got a chance to check in. I concur that what I have is the R5. I spent a couple of hours Sunday afternoon cleaning the main masts with a scotchbrite pad. Turned out pretty nice. I am debating whether to tear into the traps and capacitors or leave them alone and see what SWR's I get (decisions, decisions).

I have downloaded a lot of the information on rebuilding this antenna and it looks fairly straightforward.

I am getting anxious to set up the Icom, but am trying to do it right the first time.

Thanks again for your help (will be back with more questions I'm sure...)

BTW- the general study guide finally arrived. I am starting to read it now.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
Hey guys:

Just got a chance to check in. I concur that what I have is the R5. I spent a couple of hours Sunday afternoon cleaning the main masts with a scotchbrite pad. Turned out pretty nice. I am debating whether to tear into the traps and capacitors or leave them alone and see what SWR's I get (decisions, decisions).

I have downloaded a lot of the information on rebuilding this antenna and it looks fairly straightforward.

I am getting anxious to set up the Icom, but am trying to do it right the first time.

Thanks again for your help (will be back with more questions I'm sure...)

BTW- the general study guide finally arrived. I am starting to read it now.
Good luck with the study guide. You won't have a problem. You're going to be in good shape with the new rig and antenna.

Jim

Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
KF5BET

Well, rebuilt the top section. Took the capacitors apart, cleaned them up resealed them. Everything cleaned up nice. Working on the network right now. I have it apart and am cleaning it up getting it ready for reassembly. I did not open up the traps. I could not find heat shrink that large readily available and they all look real good. I think I will just wait and see what the numbers say. Hopefully I will be finished with it this week sometime.

Will keep you updated on the progress.