Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 07-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
ke0me

Default propane and tunnels

We just arrived in Newport News, VA for a few days. Said goodbye to Washington DC.

Going to check out Yorktown, Jamestown, and Williamsburg for a few days.

After that we need to get south to the outer banks of NC which requires going through a tunnel on either I-64 or I-664 across Hampton Roads.

Anybody crossed these before? The website is vague about things except that motorhomes need their propane tanks checked.

Thanks.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Never been there, but I've been through lots of Interstate Highway tunnels in many states with a full propane tank. I wouldn't fret about it. I think, if you went through with a big Peterbilt, pulling a 30,000-gallon propane tanker, you might attract some attention. But you don't need a hazmat license to drive your motor home, and hazmat restrictions don't apply.

What I do worry about is the clearances in tunnels. All tunnels on Interstates are safe for motor homes, I guess, but some other tunnels aren't. For example, when the tunnel on I-10 in Mobile is closed, which happens sometimes if there's a wreck in it or something, traffic may get routed through another nearby tunnel with only 12' clearance, through which my motor home definitely would not pass. So watch out for detours.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
kd2iat

Everything I've found on the Hampton Roads tunnels simply calls for inspection before entering the tunnels. Propane has to be shut off, but no other restrictions are mentioned.

We checked a bunch of tunnels on the north/south corridor when planning a trip to Orlando from upstate NY. Some places restrict you to two 30 pounders and most (if not all) want the tanks shut off.

Motorola CDM1250 on 146.520
kd2iat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
ke0me

thanks for the info, will advise what happens.

Now if I can get a big enough site to set up my Alpha antenna, maybe I can work a little DX from the outer banks. :-)
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 07-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

Advise IOTA and USislands that you are there and what bands you intend you work. They'll be on you like ugly on an ape.

I've put Hatterass, Ocracoke and others along the Outer Banks in the air. Made about 525 contacts (including a 767 aero-mobile)

You are going to have such fun!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Advise IOTA and USislands that you are there and what bands you intend you work. They'll be on you like ugly on an ape.

I've put Hatterass, Ocracoke and others along the Outer Banks in the air. Made about 525 contacts (including a 767 aero-mobile)

You are going to have such fun!
OK air craft guys I know aircraft HF radios will do the HF bands except .5 but aren't they fixed 200 watt radios? The reason I ask is for the 60 meter band. Having 100 ERP isn't that kind of breaking the rules? There is a guy flying the European route I have talked to several times on 60 meters.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

1) Aren't they fixed 200 watt radios? Some may be, as far as I know, but I'd doubt very much that all are.

2) ... for the 60 meter band. Having 100 ERP isn't that kind of breaking the rules? Probably would be, but with any antenna that would mount on anything smaller than a battleship, getting 100w ERP on 60 meters would likely take a couple KW from the radio, or maybe a couple dozen KW. Where ya gonna mount a half-wave 60m dipole (100 feet long) on any airplane? Short antennas aren't very efficient, and efficiency is part of the calculation for ERP.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
N3LYT

Well that's my point a 100 watt radio and a half wave dipole will give you a 100 watt ERP now if the aircraft is using a sharkfin patch antenna then yes they probably would be with in the limit. Franlkly I have no ideal how they deal with HF any more they did used to have long antennas and only did 150 mph. I'm asking about the output because a ham friend (retired commercial pilot) said the radios where 200 watt.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
Radio
Administrator

I dunno about all that.

I worked him on 20m and he was at least 59.

And what little I know about HF radios on commercial aircraft... There may be none, 1 or 2 radios. The antenna and tuner are in the vertical stabilizer leading edge.

And you are not supposed to be fooling around looking for islands on 20m when you are flying a commercial airliner.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
And you are not supposed to be fooling around looking for islands on 20m when you are flying a commercial airliner.
Not below 10,000 feet in departure or approach, anyway. Enroute, it's quite OK under most conditions. See the Sterile Cockpit Rule.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #11
N3LYT

Yeah on 20 it's no problem to run power. I like 60 meters it's a neat band and a level playing field as long as the rules are followed and if we expect to keep it they should be. So to my line of thinking at 200 watts the antenna should be 3 Db below an half wave dipole. I'm totally guessing but because an aircraft really needs to communicate their antennas in general probably are pretty efficient.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #12
ke0me

Default propane and tunnel update

update:

it was a non-event.
They have a lane to pull over into, I stopped, had a nice chat with a young fella from VDOT, checked propane and off we went.

So, I-664 south of Virginia Beach is no problem.
2014 Silverado 2500