Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Dizzy-Dick

Default RV'ers with the Same Interests

I have been camping for many years. Started out when the kids where young with a pop-up camper. Had a bumper pull and now a class C-MH. In all my time camping, I have always met fellow campers who had very similar interests to mine.

I love RVing, Ham Radio, Astronomy (have a large Dobsonian), Gold prspecting, fishing, canoeing, hiking, hunting, and the great outdoors. Funny, most everything I like can be done while RVing. . .

Maybe that is why the people I meet have the same interests.

What are all your interests?
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
AE5BI

We Kayak instead of canoe but you seem to have the rest of it right! We are Jeep enthusiasts too. You need to add that to your list if you use the Liberty off road. I haven't done the gold thing since the 80's though.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
jagco

Welcome aboard. I like most of the same things you do, but have narrowed them down to RVing, ham radio, and fishing, due to health problems. I tried canoeing a couple years ago and that about killed me. Pretty much pain and fatigue, all the time, but I can do the relaxing things.
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Dizzy-Dick

To AE5BI,

I went to the jeep page of your website. How do you tow two of them? On a trailer, I suppose.

I have had lot's of 4x4's and had them in some neat places. My son has had many, also. He even had a 600 hp one for 4-wheel drive events. Now he has a jeep that he uses a lot. In fact he just got back from New Mexico where he was rough camping at high altatudes. He got snowed and was four days late in returning. He loves the Rockies and goes off in the back country to camp every chance he gets. No RV, just a small tent. I am way too old for that.

Keep on 4-wheeling,
Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Dizzy-Dick

To jagco,

I understand. Everytime I get canoeing, I pay for it for many days.

At least you do three good ones. I mostly now only use a conoe to fiish out of.

You ought to try star gazing. Astronomy opens up a new, beautiful universe to you, even with a small scope or binoculars.

Good luck fishing and DXing,
Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
jagco

Thanks Dizzy. My son has a smaller scope, that I've looked through before. I have problems with my eyes (primarily left), too. I can see well enough out of the right eye, but just never got that thrilled with astronomy. Perhaps, if I had a stronger scope.....
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Radio
Administrator

I have a B&W darkroom and I can make fine prints from 35mm to 4x5. I need to get back in the darkroom A good medium format camera makes an excelent hiking companion, so I can say that I had a reason to wander off into the woods, instead of wandering off for no good reason. :lost:

I'll look through someone elses telescope, but am unwilling to buy one of my own. At least not a new one.

And I built many a Heathkit over the years. Man, I really miss those guys. I learned so much about craftsmanship.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
N7OQ

Welcome to the forum Dick, I enjoy much of the same things. Besides Ham radio I really love Astronomy, have a Celestron C8 SCT and saving for a Meade LX200R. I do Astrophotography as well use a CCD camera and my Canon Digital rebel. Even though I have a 8" scope most of the time I enjoy just using a pair of Binoculars and a lounge to view the stars. I love fishing especially fly fishing and hunting, hiking and use to do the gold thing too, a bunch of guys bought a 4" dredge back when I was in the Air Force a lot of fun but way to much work for what we get out of it. Nothing like the great outdoors.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Dizzy-Dick

N7OQ, that scope you are saving for is really a great one. I can't afford one like that now. I wish I could do Astophotography, but by Meade 16" Dobsonian is a push, tug, and pull into position (grin). Can't follow anything and the picture scoots out of view very quickly. At 265 pounds, I don't get it out unless I have time or go to a star party. Been to a couple at Lake Whittney State Park here in Texas. Had a great time.

When I bought it, I wanted the biggest appature for the bucks. The picture in the catalog didn't do it justuce. I didn't think it would be that big (has a 60" focal length). I store it in the corner of the living room and everybody that comes for a visit wants to know why I put a hot water tank in the living room. Always get a laugh out that, when I explain what it is.

Hay Radio,
I built some Heathkits also. In fact, my HW 101 is still on the air.

Happy camping,
Old 01-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
N7OQ

LOL the hot water tank is to funny There is nothing like the view from a Dob they are light buckets and a 16" one is really big. You need a really dark sight to enjoy how good they are and in the Sacramento valley where I live that scope would be to big with all the light pollution we have but up in the High Sierras where I camp is the place for a scope like yours Texas is also a great place for your scope you have great skies there. All that glass sure weights a lot though.

I also have built a few Heathkits and sure miss that company. I still have some of the kits I had built even a DMV with nixie tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy-Dick View Post
N7OQ, that scope you are saving for is really a great one. I can't afford one like that now. I wish I could do Astophotography, but by Meade 16" Dobsonian is a push, tug, and pull into position (grin). Can't follow anything and the picture scoots out of view very quickly. At 265 pounds, I don't get it out unless I have time or go to a star party. Been to a couple at Lake Whittney State Park here in Texas. Had a great time.

When I bought it, I wanted the biggest appature for the bucks. The picture in the catalog didn't do it justuce. I didn't think it would be that big (has a 60" focal length). I store it in the corner of the living room and everybody that comes for a visit wants to know why I put a hot water tank in the living room. Always get a laugh out that, when I explain what it is.

Hay Radio,

Happy camping,
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:31 AM   #11
Richard Stouffer

I'm not into your hobby, but I do know one great location for camping and near zero light polution and that's Big Bend National Park. You know what they say, "The stars at night are very bright, deep in the heart of Texas."

Both the camps at Rio Grande Village and Cottonwood (boondocking only) should give you what you need.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #12
Radio
Administrator

Default Mine, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy-Dick View Post
Hay Radio,
My HW-101 still works and occupies a place of honor in the shack, although I seldom turn it on. Maybe when the forum grows and we have on-air events we'll have a Vintage Vacuume Tube night and we'll dust of all these cool old radios.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
_L7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
My HW-101 still works and occupies a place of honor in the shack, although I seldom turn it on. Maybe when the forum grows and we have on-air events we'll have a Vintage Vacuume Tube night and we'll dust of all these cool old radios.

Radio
I wish I still had mine and the Heathkit CB I built that started it all!!
For everything else - WORK

Home - Yaesu FT847 / ID-800 / 80M Inv. V
Zero Five 43' HF vertical
Tower and Beams - Some Day
Local - 2m, 440, and 1.2 Rpts
Echolink - N6LZR-R (Linked to 1.2 Rpt )
IRLP - Coming soon
DStar Rpts - Coming soon
QSL via EQSL.cc

We need a fishing smiley, a beer drinking smiley, and an HT Smiley
_L7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
w6pea

Does anyon have a metal detector.
I have a Soverign Gt.?

Haven't used it much when we have been in th rv but we also belong to a group that hunt gold mines.
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote