Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Convoy on the Air

Just got back from a meet and greet of military vehicles of the MVPS (Military Vehicle Preservation Society). This a group of people that like to restore older military vehicle of all types ( I have pictures Wade). They have local chapters of this group all across the US. They are retracing a route taken in 1920 across the US from Washington D.C. to San Diego. The route takes the Bankhead Highway which is US78. Tonight they stopped at the 1st Baptist Church in Villa Rica, GA for their overnight rest and then on into Alabama in the morning. Not sure of the exact number of vehicles in the convoy but estimate somewhere between 60 and 100 counting the support vehicles which comprise of some motor homes, fifth wheels and travel trailers. They had a flatbed trailer in case someone broke down and couldn't be quickly repaired and other mechanics and such to keep them on the road.

They were about 1 1/2 hours late for their scheduled arrival which was supposed to be around 5pm.

For any hams interested it getting some commemorative certificates you may want to check out the details at www.convoyontheair.org If you want to work any of the special event stations you can look at a spotter web site to find out where they are. http://cwfun.org/funspots/cota We had a couple come up from Ocala that were the organizers for the ham radio connection of the convoy of which this is the first convoy with ham radio use. The MVPS does a convoy every other year so this is not new to them. They will be retracing a Route 66 convoy in 2017. The ham radio organizers are KA4WJR, Carol Scoglio and her husband Joe WA4WJB, so it was neat to personnaly meet them for this event. Their special event call is K2N. The special event call used by the local club, West Georgia Amateur Radio Society, is K2G. Check out the special event calls of other clubs across the route and if you get K2M, K2V, K2P and K2S you get another special commemorative certificate. I'll make several post to get all the photos I took. Here are the 1st 5. Note the "tiny home" with sleeping quarters. One of the visitors said that kind of truck was normally used as a jail in combat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010024.jpg (52.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1010025.jpg (59.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg P1010026.jpg (76.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P1010023.jpg (44.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P1010022.jpg (58.1 KB, 23 views)
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Very nice, but it's a shame they misspelled personnel.

Alas, illiteracy rules.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:36 AM   #3
W7JZE
RV in 2016

I just worked K2E today on the USS Hornet. One of the many special event stations for this Bankhead Convoy On The Air event.

If you want to add the USS Hornet to your log I think today's OP said that they would activate again next Sunday and the Sunday after that as well. I think the sched was 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM... but it seemed like he stopped about ~3:30 PM pacific time today. Freq was 7.250 today.

QRZ has a website for K2E and lots of the Bankhead Convoy information there as well including pointers to other websites for more Bankhead Convoy Amateur Radio information.

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote