Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
ke0me

Default Coputer program for QSO logging

Way back when computers had two floppy drives, I used a command line database program (DbaseII) to keep a record DX Qso's.

Today, I know we are much more sophisticated, and just wondered what programs you might recommend to create my personal logbook.

Probably more of a simple database than a program for submitting 5,000 DX contacts.

I am windows 7 and 8 based, so looking at that type programming.

I await the sage advice of the experienced people on this site!
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Nothing wrong with what you know. But there are many logging programs.

First a question: Are you interested in any form of Digital Communications, For example PSK.. if you are. All the Digital comm programs (or nearly all of 'em) come with Log programs. Most of those loggers can auto-log digital contacts, and manually log voice, This make sit far easier to log. most of them can export LOTW, and some can even auto-upload to E-Qsl Very handy.

So if you plan on going digital any time soon, Figure out what Didi-program you like HRD, FL-Digi, Hamscope or ________ (Too many to list so fill in the blank) and check out the "Attached" logger.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
electricflyer

This is the one I use with Windows 8 from www.wa0h.com that costs $10 plus I think $2 shipping for the CD. Has current QRZ database built in to it. Keeps track of contacts for awards, able to print QSL cards or just labels and lots of other things. You can download in for free but does not include the QRZ database in that version.

A lot of people use the one from www.n3fjp.com They have all kinds of logging software at all kinds of prices.

If you want something that does it ALL take a look at this one. http://www.trx-manager.com Log book, spectrum scope, rig control, you name it. Randy, K7AGE, on you tube has a good video about it, it is what he uses. It cost around $70 with lifetime upgrades. If I had a computer dedicated to just ham radio that is the software I would have.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
solar.gumby
KA2DTH

Default Logging pgm

A couple months ago I became more interested in HF operation after a few dozen years of V/UHF only and based on Field Day experience with the N3FJP program, invested in my own copy.

I like it a lot. I popped for the full suite and have used many of the other programs for contests as well to build my log. It works well with LoTW and eQSL.

Hope that helps.

de Glenn
KA2DTH
solar.gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
n1rwy

Another vote for N3FJP. Easy to work with and not a CPU hog as with some of the other software out there that tries to do everything. I spent the 30-40 bucks and get full access to ALL of his software, and every update going forward. Easy interface to learn, and does upload to eqsl, lotw and others. Importing records from other programs is super easy as well.

- Jay N1RWY
n1rwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
N3LYT

We use N3FJP for our club field day it is a good simple program.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote