Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
Mr. Ham

Default PA QSO Party - 10 more days

http://www.nittany-arc.net/pqppdf/paqsorules14.pdf

How many of you are going to participate?
Mr. Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
N3LYT

Same weekend as Near Fest in NH some times it's better to look at boat anchors than "59 NH" good luck in the contest.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Mr. Ham

That is the sign of a person that is not an operator.

How many times have you visited a HF net where the net manager seemed to be the greatest HF operator in the world - because he / she had chatted with each and every one of these jokers on a regular basis, but yet when they tried to copy your call sign to include you in the net - they got it all mixed up and had to ask you to repeat it a half dozen times before they got it right?

This taught me a important lesson about nets and net control stations and morons that participates in nets.

When a person contests - they have to copy the call sign right and they have to make the exchange. Yes it is important to give a true signal strength and yes it is bull chit for them to hack the contest by giving everyone a 599.
I think that those people should be penalized 100 points per every call sign they get right, yet fail to neglect to enter the true signal report.

I myself don't like contests.
I don't even like the Nittany Amateur Radio Club.
But I do believe in keeping in shape and in practice of being able to take and send traffic and being able to log call signs is a good way to practice good amateur radio practice.

So I guess I am not like the norm - the other 99% that are afraid of calling CQ on my own, or making contacts to people with whom I have never spoke before.

If you don't want to participate - no one is twisting your arm N3LYT..

I myself cannot see the point of sitting here for 24 hours, trying to make a million points, just to win a contest that doesn't mean anything.
And I could never use my amplifiers due to incompatibility with the new HP computer in the shack..
And, I don't have a big beam antenna, or a ultra expensive contest grade rig.

The Kenwood 990 has been lent to another ham for now, trying to get more people interested in the hobby. The 590 does not have dual receive.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ham View Post
That is the sign of a person that is not an operator.

morons that participates in nets.

I think that those people should be penalized 100 points per every call sign they get right, yet fail to neglect to enter the true signal report.

I don't even like the Nittany Amateur Radio Club.

So I guess I am not like the norm - the other 99% that are afraid of calling CQ

If you don't want to participate - no one is twisting your arm N3LYT.
N3LYT, a rather pleasant and likeable fellow, wishes you good luck; and you return it by a series of personal insults to him individually, and declarations of wholesale dislike of your fellow hams.

You're right, you're not like the norm. At any rate I maintain a sanguine hope that you don't represent the norm.

By the way, why won't you tell us your name or callsign? Been thrown out of too many groups? Fearful that someone will recognize you? You'd be easy to recognize anyway, with your stunningly hostile demeanor and your diction of frequent and characteristic solecisms.

You should tell us who you are, and you should apologize to N3LYT.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
N3LYT, a rather pleasant and likeable fellow, wishes you good luck; and you return it by a series of personal insults to him individually, and declarations of wholesale dislike of your fellow hams.

You're right, you're not like the norm. At any rate I maintain a sanguine hope that you don't represent the norm.

By the way, why won't you tell us your name or callsign? Been thrown out of too many groups? Fearful that someone will recognize you? You'd be easy to recognize anyway, with your stunningly hostile demeanor and your diction of frequent and characteristic solecisms.

You should tell us who you are, and you should apologize to N3LYT.
I tend to agree. And since I own Openroadsradio.net outright and pay all the freight out of my pocket, what I say goes.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
N3LYT

It's OK Carl I'm very thick skinned. I'm no contester but I'm on every night and often during the day anything from 6 meter AM to DX to 60 meters now that's a good band for Mr. Ham playing field is level every one is a 100 watts ERP! How about it Mr. Ham you do events with your ham radios bike races charity walks etc. for the public good? You support your local club go to meetings? Perhaps you go up the mountain after driving from another state in a snow cat to tinker the local clubs repeater in the dead of winter. Maybe you built the last repeater for the club from an old state police radio. Do you help the local guy that wants to get into ham radio show them the ropes help them pass their tests? Own any test gear? ECARS, WCARS join in any emergency nets? I am not alone there are tens of thousands of dedicated hams out there giving their time and energy for the ham community. I proudly display my call sign in the back window of my truck hoping someone might come along and ask me about ham radio. How about you?
Old 10-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
Mr. Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
It's OK Carl I'm very thick skinned. I'm no contester but I'm on every night and often during the day anything from 6 meter AM to DX to 60 meters now that's a good band for Mr. Ham playing field is level every one is a 100 watts ERP! How about it Mr. Ham you do events with your ham radios bike races charity walks etc. for the public good? You support your local club go to meetings? Perhaps you go up the mountain after driving from another state in a snow cat to tinker the local clubs repeater in the dead of winter. Maybe you built the last repeater for the club from an old state police radio. Do you help the local guy that wants to get into ham radio show them the ropes help them pass their tests? Own any test gear? ECARS, WCARS join in any emergency nets? I am not alone there are tens of thousands of dedicated hams out there giving their time and energy for the ham community. I proudly display my call sign in the back window of my truck hoping someone might come along and ask me about ham radio. How about you?
Yes as a matter of fact I do volunteer my time and my talents to help others.
I have several Baker Trail Ultra Marathon TEE Shirts here and I have driven as much as 120 miles one way just to administer VE test exams and I have done two VE test exams - in different locations on the same day..
For the most part, most of those people are not hams!
They learned that amateur radio works where their cell phones do not, so they obtained a license so they could use amateur radio for those types of events.

As far as the squawkie talkie people that I have worked with, some are really good hams, while others are more of the orange vest types that wants to be someone - Emcomms - but does not operate any other time, except the once a week net where they give their no traffic.

I didn't aim anything towards N3LYT - I just answered his question.
If for some reason I offended you, then I apologize..
But I don't have to give you my call sign.
If you operate HF - call CQ, even on 6 meters, you would know who I was, because I operate every day, - and not on nets!

I offered to meet you up on the HF, but none of you cowards took me up on it! You all just want to sit there behind your computer screens and hide.
I operate 100 watts or less, and some people says that I have a big signal, so I don't know what the problem is here.
Maybe I am rattling your cages too hard and you don't want to do anything anymore except hang out and talk about the good old days!
10-4
Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Talking

Some things are just too amazing and fascinating to turn away from .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Train Wreck.jpg (10.9 KB, 14 views)

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ham View Post
Yes as a matter of fact I do volunteer my time and my talents to help others.
I have several Baker Trail Ultra Marathon TEE Shirts here and I have driven as much as 120 miles one way just to administer VE test exams and I have done two VE test exams - in different locations on the same day..
For the most part, most of those people are not hams!
They learned that amateur radio works where their cell phones do not, so they obtained a license so they could use amateur radio for those types of events.

As far as the squawkie talkie people that I have worked with, some are really good hams, while others are more of the orange vest types that wants to be someone - Emcomms - but does not operate any other time, except the once a week net where they give their no traffic.

I didn't aim anything towards N3LYT - I just answered his question.
If for some reason I offended you, then I apologize..
But I don't have to give you my call sign.
If you operate HF - call CQ, even on 6 meters, you would know who I was, because I operate every day, - and not on nets!

I offered to meet you up on the HF, but none of you cowards took me up on it! You all just want to sit there behind your computer screens and hide.
I operate 100 watts or less, and some people says that I have a big signal, so I don't know what the problem is here.
Maybe I am rattling your cages too hard and you don't want to do anything anymore except hang out and talk about the good old days!
10-4
It would be nice to have a QSO however there are millions of possible call sign combinations so it might be hard to find you in the RF wilderness never mind the number of bands and frequencies. I think I’ll try my receiver on scan I’ll start at the bottom end of 160 and scan to the top of 10 and if I hear someone calling CQ I’ll stop and give out my call sign who knows it might just be you. Unless I am trying to land a rare station I never use more than a 100 watts and along with the rest of my gear the amp is solid state also so talking about the “good old days" maybe out of my realm. About the time I began to understand "valves" they came out with transistors and I never looked back only ahead. So maybe you won’t like the ideal of a “rice box” but that I’m afraid that’s all I have.