Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 08-21-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
aztrooper

Default Hi from Arizona

I've been lurking for a little while and decided it was time to introduce myself. I have been interested in electronics since I was little. My father gave my brother and I two walkie talkie kits for Christmas one year. We had to solder the parts onto the PC board and then tune them and they actually worked. I took electronics in High School and then went to the Air Force in 1971. Did four years as an Aeronautical Weather Observer then got out and started college. After two years, I went into the Air National Guard as an avionics technician. After coming home from tech school, I got a job at a Cessna dealership fixing airplane radios and autopilots. After three years doing that, I was hired by the Arizona Department of Public Safety as a State Trooper. Did that for 21 years and retired. After the code requirement was eliminated (which I couldn't get thru in the Boy Scouts) I passed the Technician and General test. Now I'm W1RDS and studying for the Extra test. Haven't had much time on HF yet because of heavy HOA restrictions but are moving within a month and will be full time RVing it for awhile. I'll have a small space in the motorhome for my IC-746 using a MFJ-1786 loop antenna on a pole fastened to the ladder on the rear of the motorhome. I'll post pics when I get it set up. Looking forward to reading more.
Icom IC-746
MFJ-1786
Yeasu FT-7900
TRC 465
aztrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Welcome aboard!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
W3TWG
JARO

Hey from NC!

I am interested in seeing your answer to an HF antenna on your rig. I have a 34' 5er, a 2M\440 dual band in the tow vehicle and usually bring a box (not "go") with a 703 plus and a couple wire antennas, a buddipole sometimes gets stashed in the basement. I don't play often when set up, but I have it, and I always have the 2M side parked on '52, throwing a call every ten-fifteen minutes or so. Sometimes I even get a response, especially in heavy (stopped) traffic.

Welcome, and thank you for your serviceˇ
W3TWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Paul Stewart

Thank you for monitoring the calling frequency.
Paul Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote