Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
electricflyer

Default How long is it?

Saw this TT at the Riverview RV park in Vidalia, LA. Seems to be a semi-permanent site. It used up nearly all of the concrete pad. I'm guessing 40', has anyone ever seen one this long (except in Desi and Luci's Long Long Trailer).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010020.jpg (65.0 KB, 32 views)
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Dunno.

But I'd like to get the nickel tour of the inside, especially if it's as well taken care of as the outside. I bet if the guy had a dollar for every picture taken of the trailer he could pay his lot rent. Also noted those a/c unit seem to be much newer than the rest of the trailer.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Let's find out. We can't get a precise answer, but I'll bet we can come close.

On my PC screen, the side toward us is just 7" long. It appears to be slanted away from us by perhaps 15 degrees. So, if it were broadside, it would be (7/(cos 15)) = 7.246" long on the screen.

Except in buildings designed by history's worst architect (Frank Lloyd Wright), doors of all kinds (in the USA) are seven feet tall. The door height is 1.213" on my screen, and there's no foreshortening for these vertical lines, so the scale on my screen is 7/1.213 = 5.77 ft/in.

Thus the total length is about 5.77 * 7.246 = 41.81 feet, fairly closely.

I verified my guess that it's slanted 15 degrees away by a similar calculation involving the apparent width of the front, assuming it's 8 feet wide. I got 14.36 degrees, so takig the angle as 15 degrees introduces much less than 1% error, and I can't measure my screen image to 1% anyway. Angle on the bow is about 75 degrees starboard, for you submarine veterans.

So it seems to be a 42-foot trailer. It's not as long as a big semitrailer (many of them are 53 feet long), but it looks long because it's much less tall than a big semitrailer usually is.

That wasn't very difficult, was it? If your answer is yes, you really shouldn't admit it.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Let's find out. We can't get a precise answer, but I'll bet we can come close.
For a more precise calculation, start with the cinder blocks under the trailer. I don't have the measurements in my head, but the dimensions are known and precise.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
For a more precise calculation, start with the cinder blocks under the trailer. I don't have the measurements in my head, but the dimensions are known and precise.

The dimensions may be known and precise, but the resolution in the photo (0.48 MP as uploaded)) is way too poor. I blew it up to get a good look, and the edges of the blocks aren't even visible, much less precisely locatable. There's not even enough detail to count how many blocks there are. When the image is that blurry, you can't measure details the size of a cinder block.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
N3LYT

8"X16". I'm told there are now 53' camper trailers out there seems to be the in thing at NASCAR events.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
electricflyer

When I was in sales as Regional Sales Manager for a couple different AG equipment manufacturers we were on the watch at exhibits and conventions for Asian visitors who used to lay a 100mm cigarette on the product and take photos so they would have a scale to measure from.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote