Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I just log on to the FCC ULS site, and renew. shortly there after an envelope arrived with my license inside. Very easy.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #22
One Country Boy

Yes... FCC site is easy to use. I've used it a couple of times. I recently applied for a vanity call. Waiting on it now. Never liked my old call. Just hung onto it as a status symble. The "WB4" is beginning to age me.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
One Country Boy

Default New Vanity Call

It took about two weeks to get my new vanity call sign. I thought that was quick. I remember waiting and checking the mailbox everyday for about 6 or 8 weeks for my first call. Haven't things changed in 40 years ?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
KurtJan

I waited 2 months for my first license to arrive. There was no ULS so one waited till the paper showed. That was in 1994.

I just upgraded to Extra mid November and had my upgrade showing in the ULS in 4 days with the test taking place on a Saturday. Sometimes technology works well.

73, Kurt
KurtJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #25
One Country Boy

Congrats on the upgrade Kurt. I need to do that as well. Seems like there is not enough time to study. Maybe one day.

That long wait for my first license was about 1969. Also had to wait on the paper license. I almost wore the hinges off the mailbox checking it.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #26
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Never liked my old call. Just hung onto it as a status symble. The "WB4" is beginning to age me.
I sort of like being "dated"

When I upgraded to Extra I had the same chance as anybody to get an A_4__ call. I chose not to. Lots of those A series extras are no-code guys. No hard feelings, but once I could copy 13 wpm and I had an Advanced license, which no longer exsists, so the 2x2 with a K prefix is sort of a status symbol.

It's a "I was in a certain place and time and did a certain thing, and no one goes there and does that anymore" sort of thing.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #27
One Country Boy

I was sorta kidding about the "WB4" call aging me. I really never like the "QBW". That's a mouthful. I've held onto it all these years actually because it was a status symbol. Like you said Wade, from an earlier time when the code restriction was to be met. I passed my Novice in 1969 (I think). I used it for almost a year. I worked 40 and 15 meters primarily and most every night. I got up to about 35 words a minute. I can't do that today, it would take some practice getting back there. Like I said, I took the General after almost a year as a Novice and went from WN4QBW to WB4QBW. It was a big day in my life but, I still worked CW and very little phone.

No offense intended but I wish the CW was still a requirement. I know, times have changed, we have all this digital stuff now days, internet, etc.... But, it made a guy or gal work ro get the ticket and was held with a higher regard and respect. You didn't hear the things on the bands that you hear now days. It was a different time as Wade mentioned.

My mentor, W4CCA, a SK for many years now. Always built his equipment. He didn't know what a transceiver was for many years. He ran a local TV and radio repair shop (almost another thing of the past). He could work on a television, carry on a conversation with me and tell me every word being said in a CW QSO being received on his homebrew receiver in the background. It always amazed me. I had been learning morse code for weeks. I was over at his shop one afternoon. He was always listening to CW, while working. He asked me if I could copy the QSO going on that he was listening to. I told him the call signs and he says, sit down at the desk and write down the conversation. All this while he still has his head stuck in the back of a big console model television set. I sit down with a pad and pencil and begin to copy. After about a page and a half he gets up, walks over, looking over my shoulder at the pad and says, "let's order your Novice written exam". He said I was copying about 10 WPM. I left the the shop beaming !!! That was how it all started.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #28
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Nice story Jim. 35wpm...WOW! I could never get over the 10wpm barrier as a Novice (kn1wnw) in '62 or '63 with a home brew 6L6 40m transmitter and a Hllicrafters SX70 (I think) rcvr. on a long wire. In '72 took my Tech test (Gen written and 5wpm) and got wa1pni which I kept till about 1992 and changed to n1cjg (new town, new call) till 2006 when I got grandfathered to General and I took n1ork. Now I'm studying for Extra and hope to take the test soon. But I plan to keep this call for a long time.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #29
One Country Boy

:thanks:Thanks Andy. I like N1ORK too. I'd hang onto that if I were you. My new W4EWA call is a good one for CW I think too. If you sound it out another ham told me, it's like you are stuttering. Hi Hi... I like the "K" calls, but could not find any I was happy with. The name of my QTH is Wewahitchka. Pronounced: wewah - hitch - ka ... Just like it's spelled. It's naturally an indian name. Since most folks have a hard time figuring out how to pronounce it, people just call it Wewa for short. Hence "W4EWA". By-the-way, Wewahitchka means "water eyes". There are two lakes in the center of town. One named Lake Alice and the other Lake Julia. They look like eyes from the air. The story goes that many years ago, an indian chief named the lakes after his two daughters, Alice and Julia.

I mentioned working the Novice Bands on 40 and 15 meters. The reason for that being, those were the only "rocks" (crystals for the younger hams) I had to plug into the front of the Central Electronics transmitter I used belonging to W4CCA. I ran a whopping 15 watts. I made a pile of contacts though. I think I still have those old logs somewhere.

My improvement over the first year with my code speed was due to the help of a ham in Memphis. We had a sked at least 5 nights a week. He held a General class license but was nice enough to come down on the 40 meter Novice Band to QSO with me most every night. Although we have never met, we became good friends. He had returned from Viet Nam not long before we ran into each other on the air. He bought a motorcycle when he got home and had been hit by a woman from Florida. He was injured badly and was lying in bed in a full body cast. The only limbs not injured were his right arm and left leg. This is true. He had his rig set up by the side of his bed. He could use the morse key and control the radio with his right hand. He didn't have a lot to do so he helped me with my code. He still holds the call WA4IPZ and we exchange e-mails once in awhile. We would occassionally work cross mode, him on phone and myself in the CW portion of the band. Even after I received my General ticket we worked mostly Charlie Whiskey.

I think I ran a Hallicrafters SX-70 receiver too. I graduated to a Globe Scout Transmitter once. A whole 90 watts. My favorite receiver though was a Hamurland HQ-170. It was the "cats meow" in it's time.

Isn't amateur radio a great hobby and service ?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #30
jagco

My story is similar to Andy's. I got my Novice in 1985 or 86, but never got much better at code. Got my Tech in 86 and then was grandfathered in also. I can no longer copy code hardly at all. The medication I am on for my transplant really makes my mind wander. I really enjoy the phone portion though.
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote