Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Atlanta Hamfest

Anyone in the north Georgia area now or will be in the area the 1st weekend in June. Web site: http://atlantahamfest.org/
Sponsored by the Atlanta Radio Club and the Kennehoochee Radio Club. Note: if you look at the map, there is no access to the park from Windy Hill Road (which is an I-75 exit). You have to enter from Callaway Road or County Sevices Parkway.

For anyone from out of town there are 44 FHU campsites right next to the hamfest area. Plenty shopping and restaurants within a mile or two. Last I knew it was $15/night. Since I live within 10 miles of Jim Miller Park I don't know any details of the campground area. I know it is next to a small lake where you can get bombed by Canadian Geese. I think they have made some improvements to the area but don't know what was done. The campground is open year around although the restrooms/shower may be locked up from time to time but it is FHU so really now worries about that. They don't advertise the campground as it's use is actually wanted for out of town vendors for events at the fairgrounds. If you want to use the campgrounds it would be best to call ahead and check availability - 770-528-8875.

Wade, are you planning on attending. I will be there to assist with license testing about 1:00pm on Saturday with the CAVEC VE group.
Marv - KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

I aught to go as I have lots of radio and electronic stuff I need to part with. What time does the gate to the bone yard open?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
electricflyer

Go to the web page and click on tables then go to the dropdown "tailgating". You can get in 6:00am and park at a flea market spot. The main gate doesn't open until 8:00am. Give this guy a call: CONTACT: John Talipsky N3ACK 770-668-4474 or [email protected] If you click on "location" and then "facilities" there is a photo of the hamfest area and on the right side of the photo you see a lake and all the RV parking sites to give an idea of just how close the campground is. Building A & B are for indoor vendors, if it looks like rain you may want to be close to the Arena where they have the horsy events. This park is where they have the North Georgia State Fair. There is a roller coaster off of the area at the bottom of the photo and I think a couple other permanent rides. I just read the directions and they must be a couple years old. Windy Hill does not dead end at Austell Road any more. Several years ago they made a new extension and it now goes through to Powder Springs Road (and on west) where you can turn right on Powder Springs Road about a 1/2 mile to a right on Callaway Road to the park or you can turn left on Austell Road and then a right on Callaway road and come to the park from the south.

Flea market vendors come in a different gate than the rest of the crowd. Flea market costs $10 for a spot. Beside the Lawrenceville hamfest, 1st weekend in November, it's the only big one in the area.

I believe Newnan had their first hamfest last year, can't remember when it was though. Our club has a tailgate only hamfest the 3rd Saturday in September which is totally free at Earl Duncan county park just north of Dallas. We've had it for nearly 30 years now. We now tout entertainment. One of the members plays a banjo and is part of a Bluegrass combo and they have a little jam at the hamfest.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Would like to be there but alas Stuck in SOUTH Ga.. and the turn around to/from Atlanta is just too far for a day trip.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
electricflyer

Wade, don't forget, hamfest this Saturday at Jim Miller Park in Marietta. See you there, I would like to meet you.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
Radio
Administrator

I can't make it. Need to be looking after my mom.

So I'm still stuck with all that stuff I wanted to get rid of.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
electricflyer

Family comes first, especially Moms.