Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer
Default Anybody using a Shakespeare marine HF antenna?

Have not been too happy with the screwdriver on the MH, 35' Class A Winney.

Has anyone tried one of the Shakespeare HF marine antennas on their rig? I have a AH4 Tuner and would probably do a tiltover mount on the top of the ladder. My concern is how is the antenna fed, ad mentions tuning band (?) that is on the side of the lower fiberglass stick.

Any Comments??? Tnx./ John K3NOQ/5

2K Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Icom 7000 w/ Lil' Tarheel, Comet B250,6 Mtr Squalo
4wd Chevy Tracker w/FT7800 & TS-60
Fulltimer-Ret'd 2-Way & Brdcst tech.
APCO - OFWA - SKP's - MSP
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
One Country Boy

Wish that I could help you, but never used a marine HF antenna. Good luck with it.

Jim

Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

My goodness, you've changed! Ok Jim, that is one scary Avatar!!

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N1ORK View Post
My goodness, you've changed! Ok Jim, that is one scary Avatar!!
Halloween Andy !!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
jagco

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Halloween Andy !!
Let's hope it's not permanent

1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

That's gonna be tough to beat next year! Arrgh Matey!

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
dirtrod

About a decade ago I used one of their HF 21ft (I think) models tuned with the AH4. I used it on 40 – 10 with good results, it would have probably tuned 75 but I never tried.
This was on a boat and I used what’s called a Dyna Plate along with prop shafts and rudders as the ground. As I remember it was not an inexpensive antenna.
dirtrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
dirtrod

About a decade ago I used one of their HF 21ft (I think) models tuned with the AH4. I used it on 40 – 10 with good results, it would have probably tuned 75 but I never tried.
This was on a boat and I used what’s called a Dyna Plate along with prop shafts and rudders as the ground. As I remember it was not an inexpensive antenna.
dirtrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
TOMWN

Send a message via AIM to TOMWN

John, I'm wondering if you tried the marine antenna? I have considered it but can't find any new comments on how one performed. When in a campsite that offers trees I use a long wire butthat not always possible. Tom WD8CSL/mobile/fulltimer
TOMWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Priced 'em once.. Changed underwear and decided on something else

What do I use.. Well.. Mobile 2mtr/70cm FM

Parked, 100' of stranded coppyer wire, about 25 feet of nylon rope. About 2 pounds of Concrete (Think a "Crystal Light" Cylinder (The kind the tubs of drink mix come in) filled with concrete, An Eye bolt and a nut) and a KAT-1 Tuner

Seems to get good signal reports.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Bob W4RAA

Have you tried the YAESU ATAS 120, it is much easier to setup and has a lower profile than the Screwdriver. I run one on my Class C and it works really well, You just have to have a GOOD GROUND with the ATAS.

Bob
Bob W4RAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer

No, have not tried the Marine Antenna yet. Unfortunately some of the replys here on the forum drifted off topic and I haven't followed up here. Been looking at other sites for a while. I remain concerned about finding/fabricating a swing down mount. Have seen a couple from a distance. I did meet one om from K6 that had a FB system on a 5th wheel with custom made fold down mount from a now non-existant shop in California. My 35' winny has a fiberglass roof so I need to feel comfy about the counterpoise. Some comments on the Marine antenna says they need extensive counterpoise, some do not. Shakespeare website was not clear on the subject. I have an AH-4, Would be nice if anyone at Q this year would post some fotos of HF mounts seen at the Q'fest. // John

2K Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Icom 7000 w/ Lil' Tarheel, Comet B250,6 Mtr Squalo
4wd Chevy Tracker w/FT7800 & TS-60
Fulltimer-Ret'd 2-Way & Brdcst tech.
APCO - OFWA - SKP's - MSP
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMWN View Post
John, I'm wondering if you tried the marine antenna? I have considered it but can't find any new comments on how one performed. When in a campsite that offers trees I use a long wire butthat not always possible. Tom WD8CSL/mobile/fulltimer
No never tried a Marine antenna.

If I'm in a CG with no trees.. Let me describe some of my alternatives

On the driver's side of the motor home the roof has a single luggage rail (Also called "Goat Rail") I've not yet gotten around to installing the passanger side

The driver's side rails is black, Painted 1/2" copper tub, over 30 feet with a #10 Stranded wire running down inside the false rear cap to the KAT-1 Tuner. Works well on 20, fair on 40 not so good on 10.

The other rail will be 1/2 inch painted PVC... It will contain a 10/15/20 Dipole when it's finished (and possible 6 as well) What's called a "Fan Dipole")

When I had Blue-OX replace my drop receiver adapter to match up with the towed when the MH is loaded... I had 'em weld a "Tong" on it that would accept a ball hitch.

This ball hitch "tong" has not a ball hitck but a Draw-Tite bike rack bolted to it.

There is a Husteler 4BTV base U-Bolted to the upright in front of the bike.

The rest of the 4btv sits in a basement compartment normally but it's a matter of like 3 or 4 pipe clamps to assemble it and drop it over the base section. The KAT-1 can feed it so precise matching is not as important as one might think (I know Husteler says don't use a tuner with it but the KAT is a marine tuner and is mounted right next to that antenna base, NO COAX between them.

That will go all the way down to 80, but of course works better on the higher bands as well (It's only a 40 meter antenna)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #14
Bob W4RAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3NOQ/Mobile View Post
No, have not tried the Marine Antenna yet. Unfortunately some of the replys here on the forum drifted off topic and I haven't followed up here. Been looking at other sites for a while. I remain concerned about finding/fabricating a swing down mount. Have seen a couple from a distance. I did meet one om from K6 that had a FB system on a 5th wheel with custom made fold down mount from a now non-existant shop in California. My 35' winny has a fiberglass roof so I need to feel comfy about the counterpoise. Some comments on the Marine antenna says they need extensive counterpoise, some do not. Shakespeare website was not clear on the subject. I have an AH-4, Would be nice if anyone at Q this year would post some fotos of HF mounts seen at the Q'fest. // John

You can find a "Manual" Swing down mount as well as a "Motorized: swing down mounting bracket at AES, I use the Motorized mount with my ATAS 120 simple to install and all i do is press a button and the antenna goes from horizontal to vertical in less then 30 seconds. With the ATAS 120 you will NOT need a counterpoise if you mount it on the rear ladder and attach a ground from it to the bumper or frame.
Bob W4RAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
WD8QBQ

Exclamation

John, here is a link to a few tilt and swing mounts. Hope it helps.
http://www.tarheelantennas.com/mounts

WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote